[Solved] Can't createrawvmdk with vbox-5.1.28 on Fedora26

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
goodbot2

[Solved] Can't createrawvmdk with vbox-5.1.28 on Fedora26

Post by goodbot2 »

I'm running an updated Fedora WS 26 (with the latest 4.12.14-300 kernel), latest kernel-devel installed, VirtualBox 5.1.28 installed, the 5.1.28 Extension Pack installed... Everything seems to be running OK... but... when I try to execute the cli command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "/home/bb/'VirtualBox VMs'/Win7a/Win7a01.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1 -relative
I get back:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage: error: VMDK: could not create new file '/home/bb/'VirtualBox VMs'/Win7a/Win7a01.vmdk'
VBoxManage: error: Error code VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND at /home/vbox/vbox-5.1.28/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp(3465) in function int vmdkCreateRawImage(PVMDKIMAGE, PVBOXHDDRAW, uint64_t)
VBoxManage: error: Cannot create the raw disk VMDK: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
I thought there was a problem with a path prefix in a installation config file somewhere... "/home/vbox/vbox-5.1.28/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp" looked to me like an incorrectly declared absolute path... but... there's no instance of VMDK.cpp (or vmdk.cpp) anywhere on my machine.

So it looks to me that if the "VMDK.cpp" code/file is required to do the cli command "VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename..."... then for some odd reason, it wasn't installed via either my vbox-5.1.28 installation, or via my install of the vbox-5.1.28 Extension Pack.

Has this previously useful "createrawvmdk" cli command been replaced with a new/alternative approach in this latest vbox-5.1.28 release?
Last edited by socratis on 3. Oct 2017, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't createrawvmdk with vbox-5.1.28 on Fedora26

Post by socratis »

goodbot2 wrote:
"/home/bb/'VirtualBox VMs'/Win7a/Win7a01.vmdk"
VirtualBox is correct, your path is clearly wrong. Because you've already included the whole path in double quotes, the single quote is considered a real character. Remove the single quotes around 'VirtualBox VMs'.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
goodbot2

Re: Can't createrawvmdk with vbox-5.1.28 on Fedora26

Post by goodbot2 »

Yes... you're right!

I'm too lax on paying careful enough attention to 'VirtualBox VMs'... especially in cases like this with yet one (or more sets of) outer quotes taking precedence...

Thank you for this essential heads-up!!