3d acceleration Intel HD Graphics 530 with Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Twoez1911

3d acceleration Intel HD Graphics 530 with Windows guest

Post by Twoez1911 »

Hi,

I am experiencing issues with 3d acceleration. I used to have VMWare Workstation on a Windows 10 host and the program SketchUp 2016 (3d drawing tool), which requires a gpu, worked perfectly fine. I recently switched to VirtualBox running on a Linux Ubuntu server and now I cannot start 3d programs anymore within a Windows 10 guest.

My host machine:
Virtualbox 5.1.28
Ubuntu 16.04.*
Intel 6700T (Intel HD Graphics 530)

Is there a way to get 3d acceleration working again? Do I need to install/update 3d software on the Ubuntu host to get it working? Or is 3d acceleration still being developed?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Twoez1911 on 26. Sep 2017, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 3d acceleration Intel HD Graphics 530 with Windows guest

Post by mpack »

You neglected to mention what the guest is ("Windows" is not sufficient ID), or the SketchUp version.

But, judging from previous posts on this subject the answer will be that it won't work. Recent SketchUp versions require OpenGL 3.x or later, which VirtualBox doesn't provide. I believe you can turn off a "Use hardware acceleration" option inside Sketchup, but you'd need to ask Trimble for details.
Twoez1911

Post by Twoez1911 »

Thanks for your help so far. I have updated the versions. Too bad OpenGL 3.x isn't supported. However I still have some questions regarding 3d support.
- Are there any plans that OpenGL 3.x will be supported in the (near) future?
- Does hardware acceleration even work with Intel HD Graphics or do you need a regular Nvidia/Ati GPU?
- When I check "Enable 3D Acceleration" in Virtualbox settings my Windows 10 guest shows a black screen. Any idea what this could be?

Greetings.
Last edited by socratis on 30. Sep 2017, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This is a user forum. I'm a user too, so I'm not in a position to tell you about the future plans of the devs.

Hardware acceleration will work if your host provides decent OpenGL (this is what VirtualBox itself uses, not what the guest sees). I can't tell you what kind of OpenGL your host's graphics provides. In my own experience I found that OpenGL was weak to non-existent on the default Intel Graphics chipset on a "business" PC I recently scrapped. In order to get my 3D printer slicer software working (Cura) I had to install a decent gaming graphics card in that PC. I emphasize that I'm talking about a host experience here, I don't use this software in a VM. I made sure that my new PC came with good graphics as standard, eg. AMD or NVidia.

Windows guests have Direct3D8/9 support if you install the GAs normally with 3D acceleration. They have OpenGL 2.1 support if you make the right selection during GAs installation and install the GAs in safe mode. No guests have OpenGL 3.x. AFAIK that just isn't a VirtualBox feature as yet.