[5.1.28] Failed to install extension pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ycktw

[5.1.28] Failed to install extension pack

Post by ycktw »

I've upgraded my virtualbox to 5.1.28 and then it prompt to upgrade extension pack to 5.1.28-117968. And shows error --

"The installer failed with exit code 127: Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process ('/dev/tty'): No such device or address."

It will also happen if I download extension pack file from the web site and manually install.

so far I can only downgrade to the previous version and keep the original extension pack.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: [5.1.28] Failed to install extension pack

Post by Perryg »

Which of the hundreds of different Linux OSes are you running?

The message is telling you that using the GUI is not allowing you to reach an authentication window so the application that needs elevated permission can be installed. Easiest way to work around this is to manually install with su/sudo in a terminal window. See manual for the proper syntax.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserMa ... ge-extpack
ycktw

Post by ycktw »

ls -al /dev/tty and it shows:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0  9月 23 12:05 /dev/tty
and my groups contains tty just as the follwoing result:
anton adm tty dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers
Authentication seems not to be the root cause.

But still thanks for your quickly response
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Very well, but the "Error creating textual authentication agent" is telling you that the installer is having issues reaching the authentication stage because it fails to pull up the GUI window where you can type in the password. Since I don't know the actual Linux OS you are using all I can tell you is to open a terminal and install the extension pack manually. Did you try with the information I sent you and did it fail as well?
ycktw

Post by ycktw »

I've simply execute 'sudo VirtualBox' and then follow the instruction to install the latest extension pack.
Though I have not figure out it,It works and no longer to prompt any error messages.

Thanks for your comments.