[5.1.26] USB Keyboard stops working when ...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sagypt

[5.1.26] USB Keyboard stops working when ...

Post by Sagypt »

Hi,

maybe I found a bug.
USB keyboard stops working when I attach a USB flashdrive to the host and then I connect this to the guest via the minibar (Devices > USB > Flashdrive).

The "bug" occurs both with Windows and Linux guests.

Someone can confirm?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [5.1.26] USB Keyboard stops working when ...

Post by socratis »

Sagypt wrote:Someone can confirm?
I can confirm that this is not a bug. Yet. I strongly believe that something is wrong with your setup. And until you have proof that this is a bug, I will continue to believe so. So...
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error during that session so that we have a record of what's going on in the logs.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sagypt

Post by Sagypt »

Hi @socratis

thanks for your attention. Here's what you requested.

What I done:

- started the VM (Ubuntu 17.04)
- logged in
- opened a new text file with GEdit
- typed 0123456789, keyboard works
- connected the USB flashdrive to host
- connected the USB flashdrive to VM (minibar > Devices > USB > Flashdrive)
- Ubuntu mounted and opened the USB flashdrive
- typed 0123456789, keyboard doesn't works
- ejected the USB flashdrive from Ubuntu Dashboard
- typed 0123456789, keyboard doesn't works
- disconnected the USB flashdrive from VM
- typed 0123456789, keyboard works
- turned off the VM
Attachments
files.tar.gz
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thank you very much for the detailed steps!
But, unfortunately I have no clue what's going on. Your VM recipe is crystal clear (except maybe your vRAM being a tad low at 16 MB). Your logs show absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Here's actually what happens between when you plug in the USB drive and when you unplug it:
00:01:04.181081 VUSB: Attached '00007f10c0c65de0[proxy 0951:1666]' to port 1
00:01:04.181704 EHCI: USB Operational
00:01:34.255532 VUSB: Detached '00007f10c0c65de0[proxy 0951:1666]' from port 1
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. In those 30 sec I suspect that you tried to type unsuccessfully, ejected the USB, tried to type unsuccessfully, removed the USB and after that everything keyboard-wise returned to normal.

The only thing I can think of before I send you to the bugtracker, would be to switch from USB2 to USB3. See if that makes a change.

Also, out of curiosity, are you using a hub to attach the USB drive or is it own port? If on a hub, try a stand-alone port or a different port altogether.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
The Raven

Post by The Raven »

Problem still occurs in 5.1.28 and on my system you don't even need to attach a USB device
using the Devices menu. The mere fact of selecting the Devices menu causes the problem.

I have opened the following problem ticket on the bugtracker.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17091