VM win 7 boots endlessly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
arnozorro

VM win 7 boots endlessly

Post by arnozorro »

Within opensuse linux 42.3 VB 5.1.26Suse has been installed using a virtual disk which operated flawlessly under opensuse 42.2.There were no error messages during or after the installation. The VB manager starts correctly. BUT when starting the VM first the smaller boot window appears and then a larger one. Therein a progress bar starts and gets to the end directly. After several seconds the small boot window reappers, then the larger one and so on in an endless cycle.
When the progress bar starts there is a short activity of the virtual disk. There is no net activity to the outside.

Help would be really appreciated as I am myself completely helpless.

arno
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VM win 7 boots endlessly

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
arnozorro

Post by arnozorro »

Dear Perryg,

thank you very much for your speedy reply. Attached you will find the three logs. Hopefully they tell _you_ more than me ... I am at a loss understanding what is going on.

arno
Attachments
vboxlogs_mehl.tar.gz
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

First you are using the distro fork of VirtualBox that openSUSE changes and builds themselves. If you want to continue to use their version you will need to contact them for assistance, otherwise you would need to remove theirs and install the official release from VirtualBox.org

Code: Select all

VirtualBox VM 5.1.26_SUSE r117224 linux.amd64 (openSUSE Buildservice) release log
00:00:00.280016 Package type: LINUX_64BITS_GENERIC (OSE)
I also noticed several configuration issues. WindowsME selected as the guest but all indications are the guest is Window-7. You have also given the guest 4 vCPUs which if this really is WindowsME probably will not work and if it is Windows-7 it probably still will not work because you have not selected the 64-bit OS template. Plus it is never a good idea to give all of the available host cores to the guest. The host will starve and falter.

Code: Select all

00:00:00.359747 Guest OS type: 'WindowsMe'
00:00:00.394799   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)

00:00:00.371251 File system of '/virtbox/win7homepremiumsp1.vdi' is ext4
arnozorro

Post by arnozorro »

Dear Perryg,

thank you so much for your competent comment. I decided to switch to the Original, i.e. to the Oracle version. So I did the following:
1. close the VB manager and uninstall VB from my computer
2. delete the remains
- ~/.config/VirtualBox
- ~/VirtualBox VMs
- ~/VBox.log
- /var/log/vbox-install.log
3. download from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/serve ... index.html
the file VirtualBox-5.1-5.1.26_117224_openSUSE132-1.x86_64.rpm and install it
By the way: I wonder why in the above page opensuse ends with 42.1, there is no 42.2 or 42.3
And in http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... Manual.pdf there is no mention of the
rpm-Installation.
4. Start the VB-manager and configure:
win7
ram 1024
choose ..... .vdi, connected
change of options - the ones not mentioned below were left; i.e. _one_ processorA
graphic memory 64
serial port activated
usb-controller deactivated
common directories installed, automatically integrated
5. start the VM
for the VM .... no session could be opened
vboxdrv kernel module not loaded do /sbin/vboxconfig
6. /sbin ...
problems setting up VirtualBox

There was no log when right clicking to the VM
Enclosed you will find the beginning of the install.logs both for 64 and for 32 bits: I should be ashamed, but I do not know whether the windows within the ... .vdi-file is 32 or 64 bit. So I changed the manager option to 32 bit and saved the log as well.

And now I am hoping again that the logs do tell you more than the do to me.
Attachments
vbox_mehl_2017-09-11.tar.gz
(927 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

42.3 is so new ( and suse has changed the way the kernel operates ) it has produced several issues and some have been sorted out. Unfortunately not in the release builds. You can try installing the latest test build and see if that allows a complete install.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
arnozorro

Post by arnozorro »

Dear Perryg,

the problem has been solved by returning to the suse version of VB. Apparently they checked the compatibility of VB and their 42.3 ... and it worked! You are the one fixing it by pointing to my stupid error choosing win me instead of win 7.

I am very grateful for your patient help.

Arno