Guru error on Debian 9 host + Debian 8 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rty42

Guru error on Debian 9 host + Debian 8 guest

Post by rty42 »

I have two VMs that were created and reliably working under 64 bit Debian 8 + Virtualbox 4.3. After upgrading to 64 bit Debian 9 + Virtualbox 5.1 both die with Guru meditation every couple of hours.
One of the VMs runs 32 bit Debian 8, the other 32 bit Debian 6.
The VMs don't use X11, Guest additions have been upgraded to 5.1.26
I attach a zipped log from the latest occasion of the Debian 6 VM.

Please help! :cry:
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
zipped log file of Debian 6 guest
(65.48 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Guru error on Debian 9 host + Debian 8 guest

Post by Perryg »

The log you posted shows the guest using X11

Code: Select all

00:00:00.702150 X Server details: vendor: The X.Org Foundation, release: 11902000, protocol version: 11.0, display string: :0.0
But that may or may not matter. You are having a triple fault which usually means the guest tried to do something very dangerous and was halted. You said you upgraded from Debian 8 to 9, did you do an in-place upgrade or replace the original version with the new one?
rty42

Post by rty42 »

It was an in-place upgrade (apt-get dist-upgrade).

Hmmm... it seems like I have virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 package installed (this brought the base X system as a dependency) which might be the problem.
I remove it and see whether it resolves the issue.

I'll let you know.
rty42

Post by rty42 »

It didn't help :(
I purged all Virtualbox related packages, reinstalled Guest additions 5.1.26, rebooted... and after running for about two hours it died again.
I attach the latest log
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
another log of the Debian 6 guest
(60.51 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Log file still shows X11 installed. It also shows a lot of reset/reboot kind of errors. What is the guest using for a desktop or is it running in console mode?
rty42

Post by rty42 »

Our server application uses some packages which seem to depend on x11 related libraries, but X is not running in the guest, it runs in console mode.

What do you mean by reset/reboot kind of errors? The client was powered off and restarted every time it fell into Guru state, the host has an uptime over four days (it was rebooted when I upgraded Debian 8 to 9).
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You can look through the logs yourself and see the guest resetting and or soft reboot. It starts after a few minutes and repeats until the guru mediation. If I were tracking this down I would install a new guest to test with and see if it has the same symptoms. Another thing I have a big issue with is in place dist-upgrades. Not to mention the issues I still see with Debian 9 as a guest. Sometimes during boot it hangs and forces 100% CPU until killed and started again, but that's another issue. You might also try the latest test build of VirtualBox and see if it helps. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds