Script to open .docx files from linux (eOS) file manager

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
EduWanKenobi

Script to open .docx files from linux (eOS) file manager

Post by EduWanKenobi »

Hi.
I've created a script on my eOS machine to open word 2016 in my Win7 VM, then a .desktop file to open this script from my launcher and make it appear in the "open with" contextual menu thanks to the %U option.
Now I want to open the file that has been cliked on directly on Word 2016 inside my VM.
I created a shared folder in the guest machine wihich points to my hosts "/media" folder, where all my work files are located

I guess the %U parameter in the "exec" line of my desktop file passes the Linux file location path.
I can click a .docx file in my file manager, then word 2016 opens but it doesn't open the file as I guess Word 2016 doesn't receive the correct path.
Feel free to correct any of the statements above

I have 2 questions, to make word open the wanted file, do I have to pass the parameter through my .sh file or does it pass through my desktop file?
How can I edit the file location string sent by %U to get adapted to the shared folder correct path.
I hope my question is understandable...

.sh file

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
if [ $( VBoxManage list runningvms | wc -l ) != "0" ]
then
VBoxManage guestcontrol Windows7 run C:\\Program\ Files\\Microsoft\ Office\\Office16\\WINWORD.EXE --username ******* --password ******
VBoxManage controlvm "Windows7" savestate
else
VBoxManage startvm "Windows7" && VBoxManage guestcontrol Windows7 run C:\\Program\ Files\\Microsoft\ Office\\Office16\\WINWORD.EXE  --username ******* --password ****** 
VBoxManage controlvm "Windows7" savestate
fi
.Desktop file

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
MimeType=application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Terminal=false
Icon[en_US]=/usr/share/icons/ePapirus/64x64/apps/ms-word.svg
Name[en_US]=Word 2016
Exec=/home/*******/bin/vbword.sh %U
Comment[en_US]=MS Word 2016 through VirtualBox
THX for your answers!!