Unable to configure ipaddress on eth0 interface of guest VM.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
m00lAH

Unable to configure ipaddress on eth0 interface of guest VM.

Post by m00lAH »

I am trying to configure ipaddress on the interface eth0 using the following command.

VBoxManage --nologo guestcontrol CENTOS-OVA run --exe "/sbin/ifconfig" --username root --password XXXXX --wait-stderr --wait-stdout -- "eth0 135.279.44.36 netmask 255.255.255.0" --verbose

gives me the error

"VBoxManage: error: The guest execution service is not ready (yet)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component GuestProcessWrap, interface IGuestProcess, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "WaitForArray(ComSafeArrayAsInParam(aWaitStartFlags), gctlRunGetRemainingTime(msStart, cMsTimeout), &waitResult)" at line 1529 of file VBoxManageGuestCtrl.cpp
"

Running 5.1.22 r115126
Host OS: Rhel 6.7
Guest OS: CentOS 6.9

VBox.log just prints

72:16:35.916198 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={35cf4b3f-4453-4f3e-c9b8-5686939c80b6} aComponent={GuestProcessWrap} aText={The guest execution service is not ready (yet)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0

I dont have Guest Addition installed on GuestOS. I dont want to install any extra software since i have to deliver this guesOS as an OVA to customers.
Why IP is required: to copy a script and run it to customize the OS

Please let me know if you have come accross similar issue and how you circumvented.
Thanks for Reading.

============================================================================================================================================
Why do we always cut a sorry face in transfer market !!! sucks to be a gooner
Last edited by m00lAH on 1. Sep 2017, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to configure ipaddress of eth0 interface in guest.

Post by Perryg »

"guestcontrol" requires the guest additions to be installed as that is what "guestcontrol" talks to.
m00lAH

Post by m00lAH »

So for my case need to do the following:
Install Guest Additions --> copy/run script customize OS -> uninstall Guest Additons -> create the ova

option which can be worked at -- but how clean would be the uninistall? The following text in the documentation also doesnt give me much confidence.

"While this will normally work without issues, you may need to do some manual cleanup of the guest (particularly of the XFree86Config or xorg.conf file) in some cases, particularly if the Additions version installed or the guest operating system were very old, or if you made your own changes to the Guest Additions setup after you installed them."
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It is what it is. Not sure you can do anything about it without actually accessing the guest, but for the most part what ever is left behind after an uninstall does not have any bad effects on the guest from what I have seen. Why do you not want to actually access the guest?
m00lAH

Post by m00lAH »

apologies for the delayed response.
what i am trying to achieve is the following:
1) on a already installed guest cent OS, want to transfer the some files(A) from host OS
2) execute those files
3) create an ova and deliver to the customer

All this needs to be done from a build machine automatically. ie whenever i have a new set of files A, i want to execute and create an OVA.
to avoid history and unwanted files in the guest OS, everytime i need to execute a new set of files A, i will be restoring the snapshot of the guest OS.