Framebuffer Object

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
astrojohn

Framebuffer Object

Post by astrojohn »

I'm using Mint 18.2 and VirtualBox from 5.0.40 from the repository. I have a Windows 7 VM installed and everything seems to be fine EXCEPT when I tried to install a Photoshop plugin that requires a framebuffer object. A related plugin requires OpenGL2.1 and it loads OK. What am I doing wrong? I've seen past references but they seem to be dated.

John
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Framebuffer Object

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
astrojohn

Post by astrojohn »

Here's the log...
Attachments
Win 7x64-2017-08-18-22-31-05.log
(116.71 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't see any obvious errors, except that you're using the genuine VirtualBox Guest Additions with the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox. I don't know if that should work or not - you'd need to ask on the Ubuntu forums, which is where all support questions concerning their fork should be asked.

Plus 5.0.40 is a tad outdated.

If you want support here then you should install the real thing.
astrojohn

Post by astrojohn »

Tnx, glad to hear I wasn't doing anything obviously wrong. I did ask on the Mint forum - no answers yet but I will install the version I downloaded from here.

Tnx

John
astrojohn

Post by astrojohn »

Probably not your issue but maybe you can give me some guidance.

When I ran the package installer, I got the message "Error: Breaks existing package 'virtualbox' conflict: virtualbox-5.1()" I ran virtualbox (the older version) with one of my Mint 18 clones (I use for testing), installed VB on it, then got the same message from the installer. I then uninstalled VB (5.040) and tried installing - same message. What's worse is it apparently wiped out my VM because it would no longer boot.

Any thoughts?

John

One other thing: when I DID get it installed on a new VM (on 5.0.40), I see I can only create only 32 bit VMs...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I understand that you have to purge the fork version entirely, but I'm not a Linux host user so I can't provide details.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The easiest way would be to use synaptic, or aptitude ( GUI ) or apt-get (CLI) and remove everything related to virtualbox. Then use the terminal and dpkg to install. Gdebi will work but sometimes complains that there is a different version in the OS repo that you should use ( their fork ) and you really don't want that so watch closely on the wording of all boxes during install.
astrojohn

Post by astrojohn »

Thanks for the reply.

I did that on my virtualbox installation of Mint 18 (I really need a native Linux testbed...next winter maybe...). That's where I ran into the problems. I don't want to mess up my primary system so I think I'll just wait for the update to the repository. My initial problem was being unable to install a photoshop plugin and I can do that on a native Windows system I have and just remote into it, probably just as easy as running the VB Windows...

Thanks again everybody, let's consider the topic closed.

John