LAN But NO Internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
caltrop

LAN But NO Internet

Post by caltrop »

host: Linux Mint
guest: Windows XP Pro
net: PCnet-FAST III

I've tried everything!

I have LAN connection as Guest but it will not connect to the Internet.

I've tried NAT, Local Host, & Bridged.

Tried the Inetl PRO/1000 MT Desktop but the drivers will not install in 64b WinXP Pro.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: LAN But NO Internet

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Given the fact that you also opened 2 minutes later the thread No USB, I'd say that something is wrong with your VirtualBox installation. Let's focus on this thread first...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

I have NAT, Bridged, & Local Host in VirtualBox.

All show connected in WinXP but Internet Explorer will not connect to the Internet.

I even enabled VirtualBox in Linux group policies.

VirtualBox is working fine. It's just that some things needed to be installed & tweeked.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Here's the Log File.
Attachments
WinXP-2017-08-11-11-42-06.log.zip
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

@caltrop,

Your internet 'problems' are unlikely to be anything to do with VirtualBox as the Internet Explorer versions available in Windows XP simply don't work any more, due to compatibility issues with the vast majority of Websites.

You could try to test with an alternative browser that is still compatible with Windows XP, but you will be operating in a 'high risk' scenario due to an increasing lack of security updates for both XP and the majority of Browsers. - As a start, see: http://alternativeto.net/list/updated-w ... windows-xp
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you can ping your gateway, if you can ping 8.8.8.8, if you can ping google.com, VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity.

For WinXP specifically, the security certificates have expired about 10 years ago...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Nope!

PING 8.8.8.8 times out.

Like I said, WinXP shows a LAN connection but I have no Internet.

Something in Linux Mint is not connecting VirtualBox with the Internet.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have not addressed what Erdeslawe said. Which version of Internet Explorer are you using in your XP guest?

Also, jumping around is not helping much. Let's stick with NAT for now.

Actually: belay all that. You aren't even using VirtualBox, you're using the Ubuntu fork - which is supported on the Ubuntu forums. If you want support here then install the genuine article and post a new VM log.

p.s. Your guest is almost certainly not XP-64bit. Nobody used XP 64bit, because few hardware manufacturers produced drivers for it.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

The LOG I sent was as requested, from VirtualBox itself, Machine->Show Log.

Using only NAT with PCnet-FAST III, the default.

Shows connected in WinXP Pro but no Internet is coming through.

Cannot even get a ping so it does not matter what browser I am using.
The browser is whatever came with WinXP Pro.
Can't install anything because everything today wants ONLINE & I can't get ONLINE!

Here's that LOG file again...
WinXP-2017-08-16-12-19-43.log.zip
(18.81 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

- - - - - - - -

Here's something else I tried...

found a web page suggesting using the:

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82549EM)
both the 32bit & 64bit fail to install
PRO2K3XP_32.exe PRO2K3XP_64.exe

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL

probably need a SP update but can't get online to get it
have a friend putting SP1, 2 & 3 on a CD for me
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Apr 20 2017 06:58:05) release log
It's the Ubuntu fork. Period. If you didn't install it from a VirtualBox.org download then it isn't VirtualBox and it isn't supported here.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

'fork' ?

Tried installing latest version directly from VirtualBox and it will not install.

Like I said before there is a system file that needs updating and is NOT in the VirtualBox Package.

Install FAIL: VirtualBox 5.1
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.7.0)
my system has libqt5core5a v5.5 & I cannot find the NEW version anywhere

now I have NO VirtualBox installed...

OK, where's the Guest Additions ISO on your download page?

When I tried to install the new VirtualBox 5.1 not only did it tell me that libqt5core5a was incompatible but it also told me the Guest Additions ISO was incompatible.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

found the file but...

VirtualBox 5.1
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.7.0)

libqt5core5a 5.7.1
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libdouble-conversion1 (>=2.0.0)

libdouble-conversion1 2.0
Error: Breaks existing package 'libdouble-conversion1v5' conflict: libdouble-conversion1 ()

it just keeps getting worse & worse...

like I said before the VirtualBox 5.1 Package is broken, at least for the newest Mint (Ubuntu) flavour of Linux.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

What I got from my FORK of Linux, Mint 18.2, is VirtualBox v5.0.

At present it is IMPOSSIBLE to install the NEW 5.1.
Too many missing packages.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

None of those packages would effect the network stack. They are for the GUI main manager. In any regards the official VirtualBox works fine on Mint-18. I suspect is has something to do with all of this fork then official release installs. You should totally purge everything VirtualBox and the install the official version from virtualbox.org. After that if you still have network issues do not play with VirtualBox. It is more than likely the guest in some way. Also missing packages are not missing from VirtualBox, they are missing from the host OS and should be available from their repository. At least it is for me and hundreds of others.

As a side note: If you want to install without those errors and just forget the issue then use the generic installer ( *.run ) that does not require the newest qt as a dependency.
caltrop

Re: How do I connect to internet from Windows XP?

Post by caltrop »

I'm running Mint 18.2 & have the same issue.

Tried everything and VirtualBox WinXP just will NOT connect to the Internet.
Manually configured IP, DNS, & MAC addresses and it will NOT connect to the internet.
Something in Mint is not letting it. Tried turning off Mint's Firewall but it keeps turning back on.
There's a lot of additional AUTOMATIC security in Mint that I don't like.

No one has any answers except to install the new VirtualBox 5.1 that will not install because some files need updating and can't be found.

Like you I gave up on WinXP & VirtualBox.
I also don't like the Virtual Hard Drive; why it can't be like DOSBox and use a Linux folder...?
And many Windows Programs don't like Shared Network Drives.
It's a neat idea but it doesn't work.