LAN But NO Internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
caltrop

LAN But NO Internet - Some Progress

Post by caltrop »

VirtualBox Internet

a little success... :)
there is a Gateway now but still NO Internet! :?

VBox
NAT Network
NatNetwork
CIDR: 010:000:002:000/24
DHCP: ON

WinXP
IP: 010:000:002:004
MASK: 255:255:255:000
GATEWAY: 010:000:002:001 now there's a Gateway :o

TCP/IP set to auto IP & DNS
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: LAN But NO Internet

Post by socratis »

@caltrop
I moved your post from the "How do I connect to internet from Windows XP?", which was from 01/2015. And on the "OS X Hosts" forum. You do see why, right? Please don't do it again. Double-posting is NOT allowed. Next time I will simply delete your cross-post. And I really hate that...

You have been told what to do. Multiple times. Purge your current installation of VirtualBox. Download the one from the Linux Downloads. If that doesn't work because you've messed up with your Qt libraries, try the "All distributions" (the last one) which includes its own Qt libraries.

And please follow instructions. Don't start experimenting otherwise you're messing up. And we can't be cleaning other people's mess. Especially if they don't listen!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
caltrop

Update: LAN But NO Internet

Post by caltrop »

Latest update.

Still NO Internet but I did manage to get a PING.

Here's that log file again, see attached.
Attachments
WinXP-2017-08-21-10-46-19.log.zip
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

socratis wrote:@caltrop
I moved your post from the "How do I connect to internet from Windows XP?", which was from 01/2015. And on the "OS X Hosts" forum. You do see why, right? Please don't do it again. Double-posting is NOT allowed. Next time I will simply delete your cross-post. And I really hate that...

You have been told what to do. Multiple times. Purge your current installation of VirtualBox. Download the one from the Linux Downloads. If that doesn't work because you've messed up with your Qt libraries, try the "All distributions" (the last one) which includes its own Qt libraries.

And please follow instructions. Don't start experimenting otherwise you're messing up. And we can't be cleaning other people's mess. Especially if they don't listen!

Never posted in OS X that I know of. I'm running Linux & trying hard to get VirtualBox Windows XP running.

Sorry if I did... :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

caltrop wrote:Still NO Internet but I did manage to get a PING.
Then take again at an earlier of my posts in this thread:
socratis wrote:If you can ping your gateway, if you can ping 8.8.8.8, if you can ping google.com, VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity.

For WinXP specifically, the security certificates have expired about 10 years ago...
The "elsewhere" I'm referring to is your Internet Explorer 6. You won't be able to access anything...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Have to connect to the Internet with the old browser to download a new browser.

But can't connect to the Internet...

Oh well, I got it mostly working.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

caltrop wrote:Have to connect to the Internet with the old browser to download a new browser.
Welcome to the '90s! Imagine if you had no network at all!!!

Download a browser in your host and use shared folders or simple-old-networking to get you going. I believe Firefox 28 was the last one, but I could be wrong on this one. Try Opera or PaleMoon. See which is the last supported version.

Why in the seven kingdoms would you want internet *today* in WinXP?