Mint Mate ed Sonya 18.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
caltrop

Mint Mate ed Sonya 18.2

Post by caltrop »

Everything installed via Mint's software manager excepting the extensions/additions which I can find nowhere.

Then there's the issue of how to connect the virtual machine to Linux so data can be transfered. Shared folder in VBox does nothing.

USB 2 requires the extensions I can not find.

USB 1 shows nothing in filters to connect to and ther's a 200GB drive plugged in.

VERY FRUSTRATED WITH VBOX!
:?:
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Mint Mate ed Sonya 18.2

Post by Perryg »

Your frustration with the Mint distros version of VirtualBox should be taken up with them. If however you would like to install the official version from VirtualBox.org we can help.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Installed VirtualBox with everything in the package.

Keeps telling me Guest Additions are not there.

I downloaded the Guest Additions ISO and installed.

Guest Additions are still NOT there.

There is no way to make use of WinXP in VirtualBox on my Linux system.
Network does not work.
Shared folder does not work.
Data can not be exchanged!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I delete your duplicate message from How to configure a share folder with Linux Mint Guest. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette...

In addition to the chapter that I gave you the links for, please read: 4.2.1. Guest Additions for Windows.

And finally, since there seems to be some confusion between the Extension Pack and the Guest Additions. You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
caltrop

VirtualBox Package BROKEN!

Post by caltrop »

NOTHING WORKS RIGHT!

So I uninstalled everything.

Went to the VirtualBox web site and clicked on the link there.

Now...!@#$%^&*!!!

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.70)

I just checked, I have libqt5core5a 5.51.
Refreshed the package installer and that's as high as it goes.
Where the !@#$%^&*&!!! do I get 5.70?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I deleted your duplicate post. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette...
caltrop wrote:Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.70)
That looks like you have a dependency problem for the Qt5 libraries. If you cannot resolve the problem within your distribution (which you should; ask them for help), then you could download the "generic" VirtualBox version which includes its own Qt libraries. Just go to the Linux_Downloads page (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads) and download the last item on the list, the "All distributions (built on EL5 and therefore do not require recent system libraries)" one.

PS. It doesn't really help if you are yelling on the forums. It makes people less willing to help you...
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Bit of a different topic than what I started.
libqt5core5a 5.70 does not exist in the package or download page.

Like I said, VirtualBox Package is BROKEN!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

caltrop wrote:Like I said, VirtualBox Package is BROKEN!
No one has reported this so far. ESPECIALLY IN CAPS!!!
So, please, once again, download the generic package if you can't figure out how to satisfy the dependencies for your system, all right?

I'll try to download Mint 18.2 and see what's going on... What's your exact version?
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Try & try again...

Installing again via my Linux flavour's software manager.

Installing ALL packages. I think one was wrong last time.

You'd think EVERYTHING you need would be in ONE package.
Not the main program, guest services, & extensions.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

You are talking to the wrong people here.
Installing something through the package manager is only something from your Linux distribution. They have created these packages and have decided how to split them up and which dependencies are needed. Ask in the forum of your Linux distribution.

This forum is for us users of the official Virtualbox package available at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads which isn't directly included in any Linux distribution.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

caltrop wrote:Installing again via my Linux flavour's software manager.
Then I'm afraid you have to talk to the Mint folks, they are the ones maintaining their own fork (yes, it's a fork). The official VirtualBox package from the Linux_Downloads link that I just gave you is the only one supported.
caltrop wrote:You'd think EVERYTHING you need would be in ONE package. Not the main program, guest services, & extensions.
Had you read my posts, I already told you about the need to download the ExtPack separately:
socratis wrote:The Extension Pack... You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

Reinstall FAILED!

Not the install but the operation of VirtualBox - IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT!!!

Here's some screen shots:

how it doesn't run
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A33C56D

what is installed
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A29C24D

and here's other stuff NOT WORKING like the network
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59EAD794
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I have already explained that since you have the Mint distro version of VirtualBox installed you must ask them for help. We do not support their version here. All of this noise is getting you nowhere and you have to ask them or purge theirs and install the one from VirtualBox.org Simple as that. If you do not want to do that then your frustration will continue and it does not matter how many times you state your frustration.

I have to leave this thread unless you comply and install the version we support.
caltrop

Post by caltrop »

socratis wrote:
caltrop wrote:Installing again via my Linux flavour's software manager.
Then I'm afraid you have to talk to the Mint folks, they are the ones maintaining their own fork (yes, it's a fork). The official VirtualBox package from the Linux_Downloads link that I just gave you is the only one supported.
caltrop wrote:You'd think EVERYTHING you need would be in ONE package. Not the main program, guest services, & extensions.
Had you read my posts, I already told you about the need to download the ExtPack separately:
socratis wrote:The Extension Pack... You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
It IS installed!
Here's everything I have installed:
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A29C24D