[Solved] installing Windows 10 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pfrkl

[Solved] installing Windows 10 guest

Post by pfrkl »

When I try to install Windows 10, I just get the Windows blue logo on a black screen.
I saw several posts for the same problem, and the proposed fix was to set the paravirtualization parameter to "none",
but I found nothing about the way to do that.
Can anybody tell me how?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Aug 2017, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: installing Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Not unless you provide the Minimum information needed for assistance. Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I'm having the same issue. I downloaded the ISO directly from Microsoft's image download utility. It works fine when "burned" to a USB and run on a real machine, but it hangs as soon as the blue quadrant logo shows when run in a VM. Shutdown is ghosted so I had to power the VM off when creating the log file.

Host is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 8GB memory, i7-4790k. .vbox and .log files attached.

Any help is sincerely appreciated!
Attachments
Win10_install_hang.zip
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Awww dookie. I just remembered what version I'm running (5.0.40_Ubuntu r11). I bet I know what the answer will be. :)
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

I upgraded to VirtualBox 5.1.26 r117224 and now the Windows 10 installer runs without hanging!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.