Error: The DEK for this disk is missing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ullus Parvus
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu

Re: Error: The DEK for this disk is missing

Post by Ullus Parvus »

socratis wrote:A ZIPPED attachment could potentially show us a little bit more, but (unlike you) I'm not too optimistic...
I attached it.
socratis wrote:Can't you decrypt the copy? What happens if you try?
When I try to boot from the copy, I get the same errors. Or is there another way to decrypt the file outside of VirtualBox?
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VBox.log
(21.45 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
System configuration
Host: Thinkpad T460p with Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, VBox 5.0.32_Ubuntur112930, NAT
Guest: Ubuntu 16.04 + Guest Additions 5.0.32r112930
Ullus Parvus
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu

Post by Ullus Parvus »

socratis wrote:So, resizing an encrypted hard drive works as expected. Something else is going on here...
Hm.. congrats that you got it working :o :wink: Then I also don't know whats going on here.
System configuration
Host: Thinkpad T460p with Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, VBox 5.0.32_Ubuntur112930, NAT
Guest: Ubuntu 16.04 + Guest Additions 5.0.32r112930
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Perryg wrote:Seems to me that would change things that the encryption software would deem as suspicious.
AIUI, VirtualBox encrypts the image, not the VDI (or other) headers. If you enlarge the disk then I expect you'd end up with an image, some of which is encrypted and some not. However... would VirtualBox encrypt zero blocks? ISTM that would waste a lot of disk space. If not then all it sees is some extra zero blocks.

I'd guess that it takes more than a resize to screw things up.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:However... would VirtualBox encrypt zero blocks?
It would seem to me that it doesn't. In my quick and dirty test, the size on disk before and after the resize were almost the same. Definitely not enough to justify encrypting the zero-blocks.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
phigo11

Post by phigo11 »

So I've just had this problem - trying to add a copied VM (folder with disk image, vbox file et al) to a totally fresh VirtualBox install and getting the DEK file missing error. I was tearing my hair out until I went into the VM settings, to General > Disk Encryption and tried to Enable Disk Encryption and only there did it flash up a warning to tell me to install the Extension Pack (which I had forgotten to do up until that point) and that encryption wouldn't work without it.

Maybe the error in the log could be a bit more helpful in this instance? Like "you're trying to load a VM with disk encryption but you haven't installed the Extension Pack yet, you fool".
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Let us leave this 6 year old topic to rest. If you have a problem with VirtualBox today then start your own topic and provide a VM log, see what others do for example.