[Solved] Win10-64 won't run on Linux MX16 after Linux reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Toastrack

[Solved] Win10-64 won't run on Linux MX16 after Linux reboot

Post by Toastrack »

I have done two complete Win10 pro installations and immediately afterwards the guest OOS has operated just fine.
However, following overnight powerdowns, the Win10 guest OS will not run at all. I get a message saying that a file cannot be found.

The messge I get is:-

Could not open the medium '/media/howard/2AB48035B4800593/Win 10 Virtual.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/media/howard/2AB48035B4800593/Win 10 Virtual.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

Please, how do I get around this problem? I don't want to have to re-install the Win10 yet again if I can avoid it.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Mar 2018, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win10-64 won't run on Linux MX16 after Linux reboot

Post by socratis »

Toastrack wrote:Please, how do I get around this problem?
By locating the file "/media/howard/2AB48035B4800593/Win 10 Virtual.vdi".

I have a feeling that you moved your .VDI to some external media. It would really help if you could explain in detail what you did.

Also, right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show in ... (whatever), ZIP that ".vbox" file and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab, below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Toastrack

Post by Toastrack »

Thank you for your reply.
As regards "what I did", as far as I know I didn't do anything other than to download and install firefox and libreoffice.
But thinking back, I did tell the installation to use a non-default HDD for storage when setting up the virtual system, so I think this might possibly be the problem.
The file which VB can't find is in fact totally missing from all the HDDs as far as I can tell, so no wonder VB can't find it.

Rather than waste evreyone's time I think my best course of action is to delete and re-install the guest system, letting it choose all the default locations, and then see what happens.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Toastrack wrote:totally missing from all the HDDs
Given the name of the missing VDI, I'd say that it is in one of your removable drives.

There are two things that you should keep in mind:
  • There is the "Default Machine Folder" in the VirtualBox preferences. That set the default folder for all new VMs.
  • For existing VMs, see Moving a VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Toastrack

Post by Toastrack »

i did a complete re-install, using all the default options this time, and now all is well.

Thanks for the comments.