Virtualbox 5.1.26 crashes on linux with Windows 7 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jay214128
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows7

Virtualbox 5.1.26 crashes on linux with Windows 7 VM

Post by jay214128 »

I updated my Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04 and now my Windows 7 VM keeps crashing, generating an whoopsie report to Ubuntu. Is this a know bug?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtualbox 5.1.26 crashes on linux with Windows 7 VM

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
jay214128

Post by jay214128 »

Crashed again today (8/11/2017). Log attached.
Attachments
Windows_7-2017-08-11-17-25-24.log
(93.11 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you disable the audio ( in the guest settings ) does the guest still crash?
jay214128

Post by jay214128 »

I can try. It does not crash every time I use the Windows 7 VM, just sometimes. It acts like the VM gets hung, unresponsive (the Ubuntu window manager grays out the window like it does when an application is unresponsive). Then it crashes and the window closes. I did not have this issue before the update to 5.1.26.
jdog4

Post by jdog4 »

I'm having the exact same issue.. and I was able to deduce it to the guest additions. I had 1st imported a customized Win7 with a bunch of software. It kept crashing, but I couldn't figure out why (this had 5.0.x guest additions already.. but I couldnt even get to the login screen.. VB would abort seconds into boot). Then, I installed a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium with just the usual windows updates.. then it works! At this point, I snapshot'd the VM.. installed 5.1.26 guest additions.. and boom.. next reboot not only crashes the Windows 7 guest OS.. but also seems to crashes the whole UI in Linux Mint 18.2 (host os). I then have to ssh into a shell session to kill the vm by doing vboxmanage controlvm win7 poweroff. After which, my host os is happy again.

I dont have any unusual setup.. this was all working before I upgraded to 5.1.26. win7 guest os setup:
- 2,048 MB base set for win7
- PIIX3, USB Tablet
- Enable I/O APIC
- 1 CPU
- Enable VT-x/AMD-V and Nested Paging
- Display 32 MB
- disabled audio
- bridged ethernet
- disabled serial ports
- Enable USB 1.1

Previously, I had it set to PS/2 mouse emulation.. and would crash ONLY when I 1st did a mouse click on the windows login screen... I had switched it to Tablet.. and I think it helped but ended up still crashing again.

So.. there's a hunch it might be related to the mouse interface/code.

Edit: for the record, when I revert to the vm snapshot to right before I installed the 5.1.26 guest additions, win7 is fine again.
jay214128

Post by jay214128 »

Since i disabled audio, it has not crashed. However, it has not had a lot of use either.
jdog4

Post by jdog4 »

I have Linux Mint 18.2 as host os with a few other Mint 18.2s as guests.. I noticed I had AC97 enabled on all of them.. really, I dont need audio at all on any guest OSs.. I will disable audio on all guests and see how it goes. Hopefully, this will stop my Win guest OS from crashing.
jdog4

Post by jdog4 »

Ok.. what I'm doing is unique (I think). I found out what my problem was...

I am connecting to the Host OS (host os is Linux Mint XFCE) remotely via vnc client (vnc server running on the host). I am unable to create new VMs through the Oracle VB Manager GUI or even launch existing VMs that require a GUI. I "have to" do it directly on the physical server with the monitor attached.

Goal is to run host server/system completely headless.. and connect to GUI envs on both the host os and guests via VNC.

My workaround is to just launch the VM sessions in "headless" mode.. which I guess is fine. I'll just run a bunch of Linux VMs... I was hoping to run a Windows one.. maybe I'll get brave and create one and run it headless like a Windows server and just RDP into it.

I don't know if anyone has had these needs like myself.

Edit: fortunately, I've configured the guest Linux VMs to be vnc'd into .. for graphical environments... I just can't run the VM GUIs through a remote vnc connection to the host os.