Strange Audio stuttering issue VirtualBox 5.1.24

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DJ Garybaldy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Windows 10

Re: Strange Audio stuttering issue VirtualBox 5.1.24

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

Sadly this issue is still not fixed in 5.1.26 We're surmising its a Guest additions issue that Windows 10 doesn't seem to like. The main install of windows 10 still keeps stuttering/popping

We setup a new install of Windows 10 just to prove I wasn't going mad and that suffers with the same audio issues after all updates and guest additions had been applied.

The audio popping was more noticeable on the new W10 install.

Nothing has changed since I installed 5.1.26 apart from Linux headers update however Windows 7 is still playing away nicely to itself, Its NOT a PC issue heck its less than 6 months old. Shouldn't be having issues on a machine with 16GB of RAM

I'm completely at a loss as to what is causing this issue don't think i haven't tried nailing down all the usual culprits. I spent most of the weekend tweaking and configuring things all to no avail though.

Its annoying me (even more) now because I want to be able to use Windows 10 to stream my music and I can't because something isn't right somewhere.
User of Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Running Virtualbox on a 16GB RAM and AMD10 machine.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

For future reference: There is no such thing as "Windows 10". There are already 4 or 5 different Windows 10 versions out there (1703, 1607, 1510, etc.) and they do not behave the same with regard to audio (or many other things). The year/month or the build number of Windows 10 always needs to be specified. Otherwise one might as well say "Windows" and pretend that Windows 7 is the same as Windows 8 and that's the same as 8.1 and that's the same as Windows 10 build 10240. But of course they're not the same, and the Windows 10 builds are also different from each other.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Off topic posts deleted. If you wish to complain about the "tone" of the free help you get here then please use a feedback topic.
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

I think I may have finally tracked the issue down. To say I'm Flabbergasted would be an understatement.

It appears there's something wrong with Windows 10 and "Networked" drives which is causing the stuttering I've been experiencing...Right now I'm busy transferring files from one of the drives on the PC to the Virtualbox VDI C:\ drive music folder.

As to whether its down to Virtualbox having an issue with networked drives (Or Windows 10)... i have No idea, All i know is when play music transferred onto the C:\ drive I get no stuttering or popping of audio.

Its taken 3 weeks of hard work to get to the bottom of this issue... I may test again when there's a new version of Virtualbox to see if anything changes.
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

Scrub that moving the audio files from the Networked drive onto the C:\ drive hasn't cured the stuttering looping audio

I could CRY!
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

Still happening on Windows 10 64bit Virtualbox 5.1.28 (Yet Windows 7 is chugging along as it should)

I've trouble shot about as much as I can with it even tried different setting to no avail...

Also got someone else reporting the very same issue with Virtualbox on another forum... I've told them to get it submitted as a bug on the bugtracker, I'd try the bug tracker way myself except its not very intuitive.

I'm not mad or imagining things that much is becoming clear!
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

Well to all intents and purposes this audio stuttering issue on Windows 10 seems to have been fixed as of v5.2.4 r119785 (I wasn't imagining it after all eh?)

Although the audio still isn't perfect at least its not stuttering anymore, If anyone knows how to get rid of intermittent audio blips on Virtualbox I'd be happy to try any advice you can give...

Maybe now I can get on with testing software again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DJ Garybaldy wrote:If anyone knows how to get rid of intermittent audio blips on Virtualbox I'd be happy to try any advice you can give...
Haven't you realized by now that they're actively working on the audio front and that with each version things get better? So, the only advice would be to wait for the next version and monitor the forums and the tickets for any audio related news... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

I need flawless audio as I'm a DJ who uses his computer for audio production among other things... I've had 6+ months where I've not been able to do anything with Virtualbox because of the damn audio issues.

The software i need to play music only works on windows otherwise I'd have no need for a virtual machine. I'd rather not have to g back to Windows full time as Ubuntu usually works OK its just VB that's being a royal pain.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DJ Garybaldy wrote:I need flawless audio as I'm a DJ who uses his computer for audio production ... its just VB that's being a royal pain.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize. In that case, please contact your Oracle support representative. Be sure to mention your customer support contract number and/or CustomerID. They'll be able to offer assistance through the proper premium support channels.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.