Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue (#17067)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
craig100
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win10

Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue (#17067)

Post by craig100 »

[Mod edit: related ticket #17067: Dir Copy Fails to Copy Files to Shared Dir]
Running VB Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.5.1) on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon x64. Guest is Windows 10 Home version 10.0.15063. All with latest updates.

My issue relates to copying files and directories from the Windows Guest via the Shared Folders facility to the Linux Host. All had been fine for months, then 2 days ago the Windows 10 Creator's Update landed. I quickly realised Shared Folders were totally broken so fixed by reinstalling the Guest Additions. Attempted to copy files and folders from Host to Guest. That was fine. Copying from Guest to Host resulted in only empty directories being copied. In an effort to fix it, I shutdown Windows, removed the Shared Folders, started Windows and re-implemented the Shared Folders I had previously. The first copy from Guest to Host looked better, however only a couple of directories had been copied and only a couple of sub-directories copied. The next attempt was back to just copying empty directories.

This seems too shakey. I work in the Windows Guest and therefore need to be able to copy work out to the trusted Linux Host. Is there anything else I can do to fix this or is it a bug? Is there anywhere else I can report it as a bug if necessary?

Thanks,

Craig
Last edited by socratis on 10. Sep 2017, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue

Post by Perryg »

It sounds more like drag and drop is what is really broken since shared folders don't really work the way you describe. Shared folders sets up a single folder on the host that is shared and mounted on the guest where you can place shared files/folders that is accessible by the host and the guest. If this is not correct you need to explain better how to reproduce this issue.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

In the Windows 10 VM, open two File Explorers. Select one to a directory on the Windows Guest, select the other to a directory under one of the Shared Folders. Drag items from the open Windows Guest directory to the open Shared Folders directory.

What has ALWAYS happened for as long as I've used VB (which is about 8 years) the file transfer happens just as if you'd transferred files between Windows directories. However, it doesn't anymore.

Any advice on this, to either fix or investigate further, would be appreciated as it's a show stopper.

Thanks.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do you have any additional antivirus or security software inside the VM except Microsoft Defender?
craig100

Post by craig100 »

No, I just have Defender running.

Thanks.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

I've tried switching the Windows Firewall Off (no change) and I've double checked the "Shared Clipboard" and "Drag and Drop" settings are both set to "Bidirectional".

Is there anything else I can do to restore functionality? Network perhaps?

Thanks.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

Have just installed the upgrade to VB 5.1.24, new extension pack and guest additions installed. Still the same. Dragging a whole web site structure from one Windows Explorer to another in the same VM, one looking at the VM's C drive the other looking at a shared directory on the host. The only thing that's created on the host is the empty root folder. Having to transfer files via ftp to a cloud server then back to the Linux host. Is anyone else seeing this problem or is it just me?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try it with a single file. Does it work?
Try it with a single directory containing a single file. Does it work?
Try it with a single directory containing multiple files. Does it work?

You see where I'm going, right? Don't go directly for "everything and the kitchen sink" from the beginning. Take small steps and see where it fails.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

A single file: works.
A single directory with a single file: only the directory transfers, the file does not.
A single directory containing multiple files: only the directory transfers, the files do not.

I should probably also say that I can create new directories on the host and delete them.

Thanks
Ben85

Post by Ben85 »

I'm experiencing the same issue on a Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.483) host and guest, running VirtualBox 5.1.24 (build 117012) with guest additions installed.

The guest is able to copy a single file to the shared directory successfully, but performing a recursive copy fails and copies an empty directory tree (up until when the first file was encountered).

For example, with the following source directory structure:

Code: Select all

Work
  Project1
    File1.txt
  Project2
    File2.txt
The destination directory structure would be:

Work
  Project1
This appears to be an issue using the File Explorer GUI only, as using Xcopy via the command line produced the desired/expected results:

xcopy C:\Work \\VBOXSVR\Shared\Work /w /v /s /e /i
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Ben85
That's a very interesting clue! That tells me that the underlying shared folder mechanism is working, and it's something at a higher level that fails. Will try to verify on my guests, but they need to get updated to 1703, since they're still in version 1511. I will try to check with 1511, 1607 and 1703 if I can, with VirtualBox 5.1.26.

Could you try on the other hand to downgrade your VirtualBox and the GAs in your guest to see if it's a regression? Start with the last known working VirtualBox version and work your way all the way to the latest release where you noticed the problem. See where the failure starts to happen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

So glad I'm not going nuts :)

I can confirm the last version I used that was operating correctly was 5.1.22. I have just updated to 5.1.26 from 5.1.24 and find the fault remains.

Best,

Craig
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craig100 wrote:So glad I'm not going nuts :)
I could not possibly comment on that :D

I don't say that I saw the same behavior, I said that because I have an older version of Win10, I could try to gradually upgrade to the next version and the next version, while on 5.1.26. That way we can figure out one of the parameters; the Win10 guest version.

You on the other hand, could try the VirtualBox parameter. You said that you downgraded to 5.1.22, or that you remember 5.1.22 working? Those are two completely different things, because the Win10 VM might have been updated as well in the mean time. Downgrade your current Win installation to 5.1.22 and try that. You're going to be changing the other variable; VirtualBox and the GAs.

BTW, do you have the 32- or the 64-bit Win10 guest? And is this a fast-ring, pre-release version?
craig100

Post by craig100 »

I have the 64 bit Guest. These are the latest system details after upgrading to 5.1.26, upgrading extensions and guest additions:-

OS Name	Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version	10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description 	Not Available
OS Manufacturer	Microsoft Corporation
System Name	DESKTOP-Q478ALN
System Manufacturer	innotek GmbH
System Model	VirtualBox
System Type	x64-based PC
System SKU	Unsupported
Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2295 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date	innotek GmbH VirtualBox, 01/12/2006
SMBIOS Version	2.5
BIOS Mode	Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer	Oracle Corporation
BaseBoard Model	Not Available
BaseBoard Name	Base Board
Platform Role	Mobile
Secure Boot State	Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration	Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory	C:\WINDOWS
System Directory	C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device	\Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale	United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer	Version = "10.0.15063.0"
User Name	DESKTOP-Q478ALN\Craig
Time Zone	GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory	4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory	2.30 GB
Total Virtual Memory	4.91 GB
Available Virtual Memory	3.15 GB
Page File Space	930 MB
Page File	C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support	Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.	
The issue started immediately the Creator's Update was installed and that was when the same Windows Guest was on 5.1.22

I said clearly that the last version that did not have the fault that I used (I use VB EVERY DAY for most of the day) was 5.1.22, and that's a definite, I'm using it professionally, not for fun. I won't be able to downgrade but happy to cooperate in any other way I can.

I don't know what you mean by "the VirtualBox parameter" and "You're going to be changing the other variable; VirtualBox and the GAs."

Thanks,

Craig
Last edited by socratis on 30. Jul 2017, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's not completely useful I'm afraid. It doesn't show enough details about the host and the guest. Here's what you do:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).