Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue (#17067)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
craig100
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win10

Re: Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue

Post by craig100 »

Done as requested.

Please see attachment.

There were no errors observed on start up or shutdown.

Craig
Attachments
W10 VS2015 Comm-2017-07-30-19-18-11.log.zip
VB Log file
(22.77 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
craig100

Post by craig100 »

Hi,

As it's been a few weeks since this was reported I was wondering if there's been any movement on a fix?

Thanks,
craig100

Post by craig100 »

Can anyone say whether this issue is being addressed in any current update or has it been binned? It'd be nice to know as it's causing real issues here.

If anyone knows of any workarounds I'd be really happy to hear them.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

craig100 wrote:If anyone knows of any workarounds I'd be really happy to hear them.
  1. Do not use Shared Folders, use SMB sharing.
  2. Try the test builds.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

Thanks for the response. I'll investigate SMB Sharing.

However, I've been using "normal" windows coping between the guest and host for years. This is the first time it's not worked and I use it every day pretty much. So I don't see why it should stop now so have assumed a fault/bug. I have therefore raised https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17067.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craig100 wrote:So I don't see why it should stop now so have assumed a fault/bug.
Have you asked Microsoft?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

Sorry, but I guess my thoughts are that Virtualisation software is there to cope with the idiosyncrasies of the hosts and guests. I'm just feeding in what I've been experiencing as a potential problem. If helpful feedback is not what Oracle are looking for then I'm sorry. I just want a system that works.

I agree, it could be a Linux problem, a Microsoft problem or an Oracle problem. I'm just a user, not a VM or OS developer. I've engaged in this forum in good faith. Sorry if it's not good enough.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craig100 wrote:Sorry, but I guess my thoughts are that Virtualisation software is there to cope with the idiosyncrasies of the hosts and guests.
Up to a point. The hosts and the guests can't even cope with themselves to begin with, you think an added layer of complexity will help?
craig100 wrote:I'm just feeding in what I've been experiencing as a potential problem.
And you're one of the few ones so far that has mentioned that, that's why we're trying to dig further into this. I don't have that problem, so my patience for digging further into this becomes limited.
craig100 wrote:I just want a system that works.
And it doesn't work because Microsoft broke something in the latest updates. That's what the game is going to be from now on. Constant updates means constant trying to keep up. Plus new bugs. If you want to be running the latest and greatest, expect bugs. If you want a system that works, pick a configuration that works and stick with it, lock it down. People are still running Windows 10-1507 with the 5.0.x series. I know I do.
craig100 wrote:I'm just a user, not a VM or OS developer.
Same here. This is a users' forum, we're all in the same boat. For example, I'm a ChemEng that's using VirtualBox for doing cross compilation of some imaging DLLs, not an OS or a VM developer.
craig100 wrote:I've engaged in this forum in good faith. Sorry if it's not good enough.
I'm not sure why you got your feathers ruffled for no apparent reason. I only suggested/questioned if you had given any thought that this could have been a Microsoft bug. One that the VirtualBox developers have to work around when they have more reports coming in.

This is an open source project. If you are facing an issue the rest of the users will try their best to help you. You got to do your part in that process, which is what you're doing. Don't be upset or sorry about that...
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Shared Folders post Creator's Update Issue (#17067)

Post by socratis »