Cannot transfer data to my Garmin GPS ???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot transfer data to my Garmin GPS ???

Post by mpack »

Ok, so the host sees the device and you have a filter. Please show me the settings for the filter:
I want to confirm that it contains the minimum number of non-blank fields needed to distinguish it from other USB devices connected to your host.

The next thing I want to confirm is that you boot up the VM and wait until it reaches the guest desktop, before you plug in the device into the host.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Don, if I'm not mistaken, the device *is* captured correctly from his Win guest:
Onk wrote:My GPS appears to be recognized by Guest Windows and by the memory map software, but for some reason i still cannot transfer data.
It's the part that I underlined in OnK's response (from the post confirming good connectivity) that cannot be resolved. Not sure if it's a VirtualBox issue at this point. Could be...

@OnK
When you say you can't "transfer data", how do you know? Do you get an error message like a timeout? Does it do anything?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Settings for Filter attached as requested :

I think i have done it both ways. Ie, have plugged GPS device in before switching on Windows Guest and plugged it in afterwards. I take it plugging in afterwards is the preferred method ?

Socratis - Hi,
So when you open up the memory map software, by default if your GPS is not connected, it will come up with a message to tell you.
I am no longer getting this message, so my assumption is that memory map knows the GPS is there.
When you export / import from the GPS device, your cursor changes and the GPS beeps. If there is a lot of data, then sometime you get a progress bar, but usually it only takes a couple of seconds so you don't always get that. It all appears to be going through the process fine.
The problem is that if i export a route to my GPS, once updated i check the GPS and it doesn't appear in the list. Similarly, if i try and import a route or track from the GPS to the memory map software, it doesn't appear either. My conclusion being no data is actually transferring.

I have plugged the GPS into my desktop machine and imported / exported with no issues, so i know the GPS and USB cable are ok.
Attachments
Filter Settings
Filter Settings
Screenshot from 2017-07-14 16-41-17.png (21.36 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, the only way to know that the GPS is connected is that you do *not* get an error message from the map software? Is there any other way to see that the map software recognizes and acknowledges the existence of the device?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Correct.
Not that i can see... Other than Windows knows the device is connected through the USB.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Any settings you can change in the map software? Anything? Can you try a small dataset?
Onk

Post by Onk »

Not really... It is very basic software, but does the job simply and is effective for my needs.

The only settings you have for the GPS are whether you are connecting via USB or serial port and your GPS manufacturer.
I have set these to exactly the same as my desktop (2 x drop down boxes).

I could try importing / exporting a few other different routes / tracks, but can't see how that will make a difference.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You may want to try a different version of the software or different software altogether. Back in 2013 I was in the exact same position that you are now. When I was trying to communicate with my Garmin using a Windows VM (no Mac software), I had to try a variety of software in order to make it happen. VirtualBox was behaving the same in every case, except maybe some strict timing which may have too sensitive for a different version or a different software.

I do NOT remember which one finally worked, but I remember names such as "Garmin Express", "Nuvi", "BaseCamp" and others. Try to see if anything makes a difference...
Onk

Post by Onk »

Just tried importing / exporting a whole different bunch of info (routes & tracks) with no success.

Ok, although new software would be a last resort... I would more than likely just ditch Linux and return to Windows :shock:

Is it worth trying another USB device (memory stick, smartphone, etc) on my Windows Guest ?
Just thinking that might narrow it down to a memory map / GPS issue, rather than a data transfer issue ???

Thanks anyway for your help / input, much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Onk wrote:I would more than likely just ditch Linux and return to Windows
Do not lose hope child, do not despair, don't turn to the evil side!!! :)
Onk wrote:Is it worth trying another USB device (memory stick, smartphone, etc) on my Windows Guest ?
You can. And I bet you that it will work. I'm telling you, I spent about a month trying to solve my Garmin problem. How do you think I gained all the USB knowledge that led me to write that "USB basics" how-to that you liked? (thank you for your kind words BTW).

I found the old thread that I was dealing with that pain: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59303#p276840
Onk

Post by Onk »

I'd rather not switch back either to be honest !!! I have learnt a lot over the few days... 48 hours ago i didn't even know virtualbox existed !!!

One thing i noticed from your old thread (its nice knowing someone else has been through the pain !), is that in my device manager there is no VirtualBox USB installed under my USB controllers ???
How do i do this / I'm assuming this would be required ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Onk wrote:in my device manager there is no VirtualBox USB installed under my USB controllers
I'm not sure I follow. What exactly do you mean, is this mentioned somewhere in that thread and if so, could you post the link of the specific message?
Onk

Post by Onk »

So in your old post Didione mentions that the VirtualBox USB driver was not in the USB Controllers list under Device Manager, but then managed to resolve it (seemed more luck than something they did ?). So their driver list looked like attached pic 1 (note the bottom item "VirtualBox USB").

However in my list of USB controllers attached pic 2, there is no such VirtualBox USB noted.
Attachments
pic 2
pic 2
2.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
pic 1
pic 1
1.png (47.95 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That was their host (Win). You have Linux. That was VirtualBox 4.x. You have VirtualBox 5.x. And in my other computer (Win), such device does not exist. They might have changed that.

I told you VirtualBox is working, it's not failing, as long as you see the device. Some software may be sensitive to timing. Yours maybe one of them. So, your only option is to look for different software. That's what I would do. I believe you're barking at the wrong tree...

PS. You confused pic1 with pic2 in your description...
Onk

Post by Onk »

Ok, thanks for explaining...
Looks like thats it then, appreciate everyone's help in trying to get this resolved.
Think i'll explore other mapping software like you suggest, or potentially setup a dual boot (Windows for using memory map / GPS & Linux for anything else).
At least i have learnt a few new things along the way !
Many thanks :D