Cannot transfer data to my Garmin GPS ???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Onk

Cannot transfer data to my Garmin GPS ???

Post by Onk »

Hi All,
I would really appreciate any help on my current issue... Firstly, i must also say i am very much a novice to this !

I have an old laptop that i switched over to Linux Mint 18 Sarah.
The main purpose of this laptop is for when i go away. I like to load routes onto my GPS, then load the tracks back onto my laptop afterwards (using memory map software).
I've had problems with Linux recognizing my GPS and it was suggested that a possible solution would be to run Windows through Virtualbox to allow me to update my GPS.

Progress so far has been :
VirtualBox installed and running Windows 7.
Expansion pack and guest additions installed.
Username added to vboxusers group.
Enable USB Controller box checked in USB settings.
Filter added for GPS plugged into USB.

I now run the memory map software and it registers my GPS is connected, however when i try to transfer data either to / from the GPS, it appears to go through the process, but nothing transfers !
I have even tried plugging in the GPS to my desktop machine to make sure it is working ok (and i'm not going mad) and data transfers fine.

Frustrating as i think i'm very close and it has been quite a journey for me so far !
If anybody has got any advice to get me over the line, that would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot transfer data to my Garmin GPS ???

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Hopefully I have done this correctly... There were a few log files (.LOG, .LOG.1, LOG.2, etc), so i zipped the most recent one.

Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VM Log File
(22 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Apr 20 2017 06:58:05) release log
00:00:00.570883 VNC (Version: 5.0.40 r115130; VRDE Module: VBoxVNC)
00:00:00.570890 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.0.40 r115130; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
I'm afraid the log shows you are not using VirtualBox. You are instead using someone's fork. We don't support forks here, this is the user forum for the real VirtualBox software.

What's more, you do have the genuine VirtualBox extension pack installed, meaning you have a mix of versions between extension pack and software. And you have the VNC extension pack which isn't a (genuine) VirtualBox extension pack at all, so you likely have conflicting extension packs.

USB2+ support is not part of the open source offering. If you want that feature, and if you want support here, then you need to uninstall and purge the fork completely then download and install genuine VirtualBox from the official download site. Also install the matching extension pack. Let us know if you continue to have problems after that.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Brilliant, thanks for your help... To be honest i wasn't aware that i hadn't installed a genuine version of Virtual Box.
Will remove and start again from scratch as you suggest.
Onk

Post by Onk »

So I've just downloaded the latest version directly from Virtualbox . org (Upuntu 17.04).
I found my existing version of Vertualbox and clicked uninstall.
In my downloads folder, i then selected the new genuine file and opened with package installer , but get the following message :

Error : Breaks existing package "virtualbox" conflict : virtualbox-5.1()

Which i'm guessing it means the old version hasn't completely uninstalled ?
Sorry to be a complete pain, but what haven't i done ?

Many thanks.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Think i'm getting there... If its not too much trouble, i have attached the latest Log file.
Could you please check and confirm that all elements are legitimate and aligned ?

Many thanks again.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Updated Log file
(15.78 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, that's much better. The version is now official, up to date, and you have the matching extension pack installed.

Your Guest Additions are still on 5.0.40 - on general principles you should probably bring those up to date too, though they have no role in USB.

Also your VRAM (graphics RAM) figure is way too low at 16 MB. I'd increase this to 64MB.

Is the Garmin device USB2 or USB3? If it's the latter then please note that you need to enable xHCI in the VM USB settings and you need to find and install the Intel xHCI driver in the guest, since Windows 7 has no native support for xHCI/USB3.

Any particular reason why you went with what looks like fixed size VMDK for the VM? That seems like an unnecessary complication. The normal choice is dynamic VDI.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Excellent, thank you.

I have just updated the Guest Additions since my last post, so nearly back to where i was.
The only issue now is that my GPS is not being recognized when i plug it in ???!
Any suggestions on getting this back, as critical to what i'm trying to achieve :lol:

Ok, i'll increase the RAM as suggested.
I believe it is USB 2 (both laptop and GPS are quite old to be honest, but they do the job !)
I think the fixed size thing was based on some info i read somewhere / a tutorial on setting up and installing a VM... Does this matter ?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Onk wrote:I think the fixed size thing was based on some info i read somewhere / a tutorial on setting up and installing a VM... Does this matter ?
It has no direct bearing. Long term, if you have done strange/unnecessary things then it's harder to support you. P.s. you shouldn't trust (mis)information garnered from other sites. I see a lot of utter BS being passed around as gospel, and you can only join up to correct them a certain number of times before your soul withers. This site is the definitive source of accurate VirtualBox information.
Onk wrote:The only issue now is that my GPS is not being recognized when i plug it in ???!
Did you read section 3.10.2 of the user manual?

Beyond that, you can read Socratis' tutorial: USB Basics and Troubleshooting.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Point taken, cheers for the advise... Its hard when dipping into a world that is totally alien. The internet is a great invention but also a curse !

Ok, I'll read them now and see if it helps.

In the meantime, i have knocked the USB 2.0 down to 1.0 in the settings and my GPS device is now recognized.
Unfortunately i still cannot transfer the data, so back to square one for now.
At least my software is now all legit and aligned.

If you were down my local pub tonight, i would gladly buy you a pint ! :D
Onk

Post by Onk »

Having read the first link you sent, i'm pleased to say that i had read that one before. The second link was however new to me (great document by the way).

That said, I still find myself with the same original issue and nothing that i have read has given me a clue to what the cause is (but i am very much a novice).
Maybe because the USB device is only recognised under USB 1.0 ?
I'm also not convince my GPS is actually showing up in my Host machine, but is showing ok in Guest and whether or not that actually matters ?

I'm happy that my Virtualbox and Extension Packs are up to date and aligned :
VirtualBox VM 5.1.22 r115126 linux.amd64 (Apr 28 2017 16:44:54) release log
00:00:00.623585 Package type: LINUX_64BITS_UBUNTU_16_04
00:00:00.647150 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:00.647181 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.1.22 r115126; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)

I have also updated Guest Additions.
I'm happy that my user is part of the vboxusers group.

I'm happy that my GPS device is connecting :
Host USB Devices:
UUID: 0c6677d7-4c13-44d4-93dd-d4bb8b095056
VendorId: 0x091e (091E)
ProductId: 0x0003 (0003)
Revision: 0.1 (0001)
Port: 1
USB version/speed: 1/Full
Manufacturer: Garmin International
Product: GPS (various models)
Address: sysfs:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb6/6-2//device:/dev/vboxusb/006/004
Current State: Available

I'm also pretty convinced my device is setup in the Filter :
USB Device Filters:
Index: 0
Active: yes
Name: Garmin International GPS (various models) [0001]
VendorId: 091e
ProductId: 0003
Revision:
Manufacturer:
Product:
Remote: 0

So i'm pretty stuck / at a dead end ???
My GPS appears to be recognised by Guest Windows and by the memory map software, but for some reason i still cannot transfer data.
Any other ideas ?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please restore the USB2 configuration. It doesn't seem that USB1 does anything useful for you, and remember what I said above about unusual configurations. Your device certainly expects USB2 or better. USB 1.1 would almost certainly be an order of magnitude too slow.

Did you log out and back into your host since adding yourself to the vboxusers group? What else did you do to prove membership?

Let's take this one step at a time. Forget data transfer, the first step is finding out why you can't connect the device to the VM in USB2 mode. What exactly are you doing to establish a connection? Are you grabbing the device using a menu? Did you create a USB capture filter to match the device? And of course I want to know what you did to verify "vboxusers" membership.
Onk

Post by Onk »

Ok, so have returned USB setting to 2.0 as requested.
Currently logged out / Guest Windows is shutdown.

Attached screenshot confirms user Onk is in vboxusers group ?
Also typed in command "sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers onk" as per troubleshooting advice in first link you sent through previously.
If there is another way to confirm, please advise.

To establish a connection, i'm simply just plugging in my GPS device into the USB cable.
Pretty sure Filter is in place as per previous post, but could also show a screen grab of that as well if required.

Thanks for your ongoing help and patience.
Attachments
scrn shot
scrn shot
Screenshot from 2017-07-14 14-50-42.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Onk

Post by Onk »

Another couple of shots that might help...
Appears that GPS is now being recognised under 2.0 :)
Attachments
GPS connected under 2.0
GPS connected under 2.0
Screenshot from 2017-07-14 15-18-50.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Filter
Filter
Screenshot from 2017-07-14 15-15-30.png (59.72 KiB) Viewed 3360 times