Noisy audio on windows 10 (guest)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
itmrj80

Noisy audio on windows 10 (guest)

Post by itmrj80 »

Hey,
I've installed windows 10 on linux virtual box and the sound is very noisy. There is a white noise in addition to any sound that comes out of the system.
I have tried disabling Intel Turbo Threading in the bios and it doesn't help.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Noisy audio on windows 10 (guest)

Post by socratis »

You didn't tell us the VirtualBox version or the Linux kind and version that you're using, but they're actively working on the audio front. Try one on the 5.1.23 testbuilds from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
itmrj80

Post by itmrj80 »

I'm working on Ubuntu 17.04
on a Toshiba Laptop with Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4,
Using:
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.22_Ubuntu r115126
My audio settings are:
Host Driver: ALSA Audio Driver
Controller: Intel HD Audio
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

itmrj80 wrote:VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.22_Ubuntu r115126
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. Please uninstall/purge that one and install the official one from the location that I proposed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
itmrj80

Post by itmrj80 »

Thank you!
I'm assuming I should install the Linux 64bit version, right? (I see there also el5, el6 ect.). sorry have no idea about the linux versions..
itmrj80

Post by itmrj80 »

socratis wrote:You didn't tell us the VirtualBox version or the Linux kind and version that you're using, but they're actively working on the audio front. Try one on the 5.1.23 testbuilds from...Testbuilds
I uninstalled my version and installed the Linux 64 bit as you recomended.
When try to turning on my machine I'm getting this error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine windows.

The virtual machine 'windows' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

the error message also says that the virtualbox kernel modules doesn't match this version of Virtualbox and recommends running /sbin/vboxconfig .

I've run /sbin/vboxconfig, and it did build virtualbox kernel modules, but I'm still getting the same message.
Any ideas?
itmrj80

Post by itmrj80 »

Just wanted to update. I was able to solve the installation issue by running: sudo apt-get autoremove 'virtualbox*'
and installed the suggested version.
The sound quality is much better, I do still get noise when the host machine is running a heavy task, but at least when I'm just browsing the web or writing code its fine. :D
itmrj80

Post by itmrj80 »

Problem is back, and it is impossible to hear any sound. all I want to do is listing to my apple music while I code on Linux. if anybody have other solution I'll be happy to hear!
theta22

Post by theta22 »

I too had this problem.

What I did was to change the Windows' sample rate and bit depth to match that of the VM.

I ended up setting my Windows machine to 16-bit, 48000 Hz sample rate, but yours maybe different.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@theta22
It's borderline OK to post in a thread that is more than 1 year old, in the area of audio which is evolving constantly. But it's not OK to wake up a thread from 2011. Your copy/paste post from that ancient thread has been removed.