WindowsXP guest will not boot on Fedora 25 after upgrading to 5.1.22

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
redkite

WindowsXP guest will not boot on Fedora 25 after upgrading to 5.1.22

Post by redkite »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum so apologies if I'm missing something obvious but I need some help please! :)

I have been running Windows XP as a guest on a Fedora host for over a year with no trouble at all, it's been perfect! This week I upgraded from Fedora 24 to 25, after which I couldn't find how to start up VirtualBox, so I decided to upgrade it too, from (I think but not 100% sure) 5.0.34 to (definitely) 5.1.22.

Unfortunately, I hadn't shutdown the virtual machine before upgrading Fedora, it was in a saved state.

When I started up the virtual machine, it initially looked fine but as soon as I attempted to do anything with the software running in it, I got a Guru Meditiation. Since then, Windows XP won't boot up, I get a Guru Meditation as soon as the Windows XP startup screen shows. I can start Windows XP in safe mode or safe mode with networking and everything appears fine but I need to be able to print so I do have to get normal mode working.

New post minimal information:
I'm running VirtualBox 5.1.22. I'm about 99% sure that I did install the Guest Additions (a long while ago and before upgrading).

Host is Fedora 25 64 bit with 8G memory
Guest is Windows XP SP3 32 bit with 512M memory

Zipped VM log file is attached

Many thanks in advance for any help! Much appreciated. :D
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(48.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: WindowsXP guest will not boot on Fedora 25 after upgrading to 5.1.22

Post by mpack »

It's probably this :-
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:00.617706 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
VT-x is selected for the guest, but disabled in the host PC BIOS. Some versions of VirtualBox silently ignore this error, other versions error out. Best fix is to enable it in the host PC BIOS. Look for something like "Virtualization Technology; Enable/Disable", probably in a security category. Ignore the "virtual I/O (VT-d)" option that you might see: not the same, not relevant.
redkite

Re: WindowsXP guest will not boot on Fedora 25 after upgrading to 5.1.22

Post by redkite »

Perfect... many thanks, that's fixed it. :D