Add more ram to vm windows7 on Lubuntu 17.02

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vmusernewbie

Add more ram to vm windows7 on Lubuntu 17.02

Post by vmusernewbie »

Hello folks,

I use this Linux:

Code: Select all

xxx@xxxx:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 17.04
Release:	17.04
Codename:	zesty
xxx@xxxx:~$ uname -a
Linux xxxx 4.10.0-19-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 6 17:04:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
with this setup:
Asus Prime Pro B250
Intel I5 7500
8 Gb Ram Hyper Ram
and I need add more Ram to my virtual machine. This mv it is a windows 7 and I only can use this amount ram dedicate to this vm: http://imgur.com/a/bwz9Q

How can I add more ram to this vm?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Add more ram to vm windows7 on Lubuntu 17.02

Post by mpack »

Your picture shows the display settings, with virtual VRAM. If it's normal motherboard RAM you want to change then look in the "System" settings, motherboard tab.

And remember that RAM can't be simulated: you can't give RAM to the VM that your host doesn't have or is already using.
vmusernewbie

Post by vmusernewbie »

Thanks to your reply.

I need configure the virtual machine with more ram because I can't render the image on the software proteus (https://www.labcenter.com/). I use this software to build schematic and board electronics. At the moment I execute view 3D the virtual machine with OS Windows 7 don't display the image. I am thinking this occur because the memory image which host dedicate to virtual machine it is insufficient!

What do you think about this?

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

So it is display RAM you're talking about?

I very much doubt that your problem is caused by lack of display RAM. What makes you believe that?

By the way, I think it's about time we had a VM log from you - this should be automatic when asking about a VM problem. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
vmusernewbie

Post by vmusernewbie »

Hello,
I very much doubt that your problem is caused by lack of display RAM. What makes you believe that?
Also I have doubt about this but I think on ram because on the program execute the function but can't load the image! Never the software or the windows crash when I executed the fucntion render image 3D on Software.

I attached the all log file. I think it is this information. I don't know how read this report.

Thanks
Attachments
Windows7_v4-2017-06-28-09-16-17.log.zip
(30.59 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

(1) You are using 3D acceleration, hence the amount of graphics RAM assigned to the guest is barely relevant: the graphics are being rendered by the host, not the guest.

(2) You are using the official Guest Additions, but your software is the Ubuntu fork - you are not actually using VirtualBox. Uninstall the fork, install VirtualBox, and then lets see if you still have the problem. Note that if you don't want to use VirtualBox then we can't support on you the VirtualBox forums. For the fork you should look for support in an Ubuntu support forum.

(3) As mentioned, when you use 3D acceleration the graphics are actually rendered by the OpenGL drivers of your host. Success is therefore very reliant on the quality of host graphics drivers: make sure these are up to date.