[Solved] USB devices are not detected

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Adel

[Solved] USB devices are not detected

Post by Adel »

I have Kubuntu 16.04 with KDE plasma 5.5.5 and the virtualbox is 5.1.22 but the virtualbox is not detecting my 2.0 or 3.0 usb devices although my OS is detecting both.
I had installed the extension pack for the 5.1.22 version and even after selecting either one of the following options usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 and after I had clicked on the add new usb device button this message appeared < no devices available > for both options.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB devices are not detected

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

p.s. I see that you already have an open question from your previous post. If you ask a question and get an answer then it's polite to acknowledge that answer.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Linux host USB is probably the easiest of all distros supported. There needs to be 3 things to achieve success.
  • 1) Matching extension pack installed.
    2) ( host requirement ) user name added to the vboxusers group followed with a logout and login or a reboot of the host to enable the new permission.
    3) You need to be using the official version of VirtualBox and the official version of the extension pack.
Note: the repo version of the extension pack does not have USB support because VirtualBox USB is closed source and you must use and accept the license for the official version.
Adel

Post by Adel »

Perryg wrote:Linux host USB is probably the easiest of all distros supported. There needs to be 3 things to achieve success.
  • 1) Matching extension pack installed.
    2) ( host requirement ) user name added to the vboxusers group followed with a logout and login or a reboot of the host to enable the new permission.
    3) You need to be using the official version of VirtualBox and the official version of the extension pack.
Note: the repo version of the extension pack does not have USB support because VirtualBox USB is closed source and you must use and accept the license for the official version.
Thank you , this solution solved my problem, what was missing in my case, I did not add the host username to the vboxusers group and the usb controller in windows 7 machine was not installed properly.
Adel

Post by Adel »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

p.s. I see that you already have an open question from your previous post. If you ask a question and get an answer then it's polite to acknowledge that answer.
Thank you for your note , and my problem was my solved after adding the host username to the vboxusers group and reinstalling the usb controller in my windows 7 machine.