[Resolved] changing guest vdi from dynamic to fixed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: changing guest vdi from dynamic to fixed

Post by mpack »

What am I supposed to be seeing?

As you say, this VM only has one snapshot. However, it has three VDIs registered, none of which is the base image, so I assume that you've been mixing linked cloning with snapshots.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It may be necessary to for you call it quits with this VM. It the VM still works then what I would do is do a full clone of it: full (not linked) clone, current state only (i.e. do not preserve snapshot structure), don't reset MAC addresses. This will give you a standalone clone VM, and temporarily require up to 80GB of disk space. After testing you would eliminate all of the older snapshot ridden relatives, recovering your disk space.
SChinaSeaTribe

Post by SChinaSeaTribe »

Ok, that sounds good. I will start the clone now, and post here how it goes. Thanks for your help!
SChinaSeaTribe

Post by SChinaSeaTribe »

Ok, I cloned the VM and have now finally reduced my storage usage. Thanks for the help, looks like I am all set!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you recovered your space... Marking this as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.