W10 guess intermittent slowness issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bwspot

W10 guess intermittent slowness issue

Post by bwspot »

I do have minimal ubuntu server os setup with minimal gui and virtual box downloaded from virtualbox site instead of the one that comes with ubuntu.(it was not playing nice with USB extensions)
I run 16.02.2 LTS and VIrtualbox 5.1.22 r115126 as headless but i use the gui to connect to my vmware and i use two monitors.
I do have WIFI usb keyboard.
What happens is that vm w10 guest is super fast and works like this for hours and after some time it slowly degrades and gets slower and slower.
Many times the keyboard is not responsive and the keystrokes are lost and mouse does not move property. If i plug in the wired mouse it works with no interruptions.
What is strange the same WIFI keyboard and mouse works with no issues on the host.
What i noticed is that when W10 guest is slow the host shows the Xorg process running high cpu.
There is nothing i can do to fix it except saving the machine state, rebooting linux host and restoring the machine state and all works fine again.
I cannot figure out what is happening. Something is causing the Xorg process to spike. Could this be virtualbox drivers?
Could this be virtualbox extensions? The host is a fast machine with i7 processor and SSD drive.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: W10 guess intermittent slowness issue

Post by Perryg »

Once you see the issue post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post. and then again after you shut the guest down.
bwspot

Post by bwspot »

Will do.
FYI. After i uninstalled the extension pack i did not experience the issue yet.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jun 2017, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
bwspot

Post by bwspot »

it seems like the issue is still happening. I was away for few weeks came back and w10 is sluggish again.
I attached the logs.
Attachments
VBox.log
(90.6 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You should fix this first:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.101018 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BridgedInterfaceDown message="Bridged interface br10 is down. Guest will not be able to use this interface"
Why are you running a host bridge?

I see this guest has been up for over 16 days. Here is what you need to do to help isolate this:
  • When you see this issue open a terminal on the host and run "top" which you need to post the results here ( just the top portion ).
    Then in the guest we need to see what the task manager has to say. ( screen shot will work )
bwspot

Post by bwspot »

Perryg wrote:You should fix this first:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.101018 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BridgedInterfaceDown message="Bridged interface br10 is down. Guest will not be able to use this interface"
Why are you running a host bridge?

I see this guest has been up for over 16 days. Here is what you need to do to help isolate this:
  • When you see this issue open a terminal on the host and run "top" which you need to post the results here ( just the top portion ).
    Then in the guest we need to see what the task manager has to say. ( screen shot will work )
i have multiple vlans setup that i use when i need it.
bwspot

Post by bwspot »

So i downgraded to virtualbox thats part of ubuntu distribution and all works fine but now i am getting strange over-utilization with lightdm manager.
When i stop using my vm (win10) and let it lock on its own after inactivity i come back and want to work again the lightdm is 100% and i cannot get keyboard or mouse control over the vm.
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (48.56 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
bwspot

Post by bwspot »

i upgraded the ubuntu to the latest server version and all problems went away.