5.1.22 install problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
steve407

5.1.22 install problem

Post by steve407 »

This is on a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install. Tried to update VB 5.1.20 with 5.1.22 and all it does is hang. I verified the download SHA256 was correct. So trashed it anyway, redownloaded, re-verified SHA and still just hangs when trying to install from Ubuntu software center. So next I tried to install from gdebi and didn't even get that far. Tried the sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install -f and received the following (some stuff skipped)
Reading package lists... Done
N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
steve@2kattsLinux:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
N: Ignoring file '50unattended-upgrades.ucf-old' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: The package virtualbox-5.1 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Tried to install it again, and same problem -- the install just hangs. 5.1.20 is still installed but now it won't start but gives an error (see screen shot -- sorry but screen shot too big won't upload). Tried running '/sbin/vboxconfig' as root, got this:
steve@2kattsLinux:~$ sudo -i
root@2kattsLinux:~# /sbin/vboxconfig
-bash: /sbin/vboxconfig: No such file or directory
root@2kattsLinux:~#

I'm really at a loss here. Can't install, can't uninstall, and have some stuff I really need to get done! Any help greatly appreciated.

Direct skruse4@cfl.rr.com or on the board. Thanks in advance.,
Last edited by socratis on 13. Jun 2017, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 5.1.22 install problem

Post by Perryg »

I would uninstall the current version and then use dpkg to install the new one. The Ubuntu software center is junk and gdebi can be confusing because it will want you to pull in the repo version instead.
steve407

Post by steve407 »

Thanks PerryG - but the problem is I can't seem to uninstall it which is the first step. Everything I've tried has put me in some sort of catch 22.

I'm thinking that due to a crunch to get something done for a deadline, I will download VB for my Mac, and hope that it can open the Linux version of the VM that I need. Not sure if that will work or not.

Steve
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Very well, but once you have done that and want to re-visit this you need to fix the host. It appears that you have at minimum a corrupt apt cache on the host and from the feel of it you at one point had the repo version ( fork ) of VirtualBox installed. The repo version will conflict with the official version and why the removal is important. The long way is to find the install location and try the uninstall.sh or remove all manually and hope for the best.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@steve407
I fixed a typo in your messages and the title of your thread, from 5.20 and 5.22, to 5.1.20 and 5.1.22. If this is *not* what you intended on writing (you meant 5.0.20 and 5.0.22), let me know.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dabeegmon

Post by dabeegmon »

steve407 wrote:Thanks PerryG - but the problem is I can't seem to uninstall it which is the first step. Everything I've tried has put me in some sort of catch 22.

I'm thinking that due to a crunch to get something done for a deadline, I will download VB for my Mac, and hope that it can open the Linux version of the VM that I need. Not sure if that will work or not.

Steve
Sorry - - - I found some pages that helped (can't remember the urls) but what you need to do is purge ALL the virtualbox related files.
There are files in the kernel, there are some twisted into everywhere and they all need to be removed.
Then I downloaded the .deb file from the wiki connection and I was able to get things working.
(Have other issues but that's for another email!)