Exporting appliance is corrupted with no error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
casual_beast

Exporting appliance is corrupted with no error

Post by casual_beast »

I've got a really strange issue that I can't seem to figure out. I created a new Windows Server 2016 Essentials (64bit) guest from scratch on a Linux Mint 64 bit Host. I've been trying to export the appliance to copy it over to my laptop with no success (which is also running the same version of Linux Mint as my desktop). I've tried about 5 times. Each time it gets to around 12% or so... then it just closes the window with no errors (it says it's a successful export). I've also tried exporting the file directly from the terminal with the same results. Even though it says it was a successful export, when I move the .OVA over to my laptop to import it says the file is corrupted. The strange thing is I can take that exact same file and import it fine on the desktop machine it was created from.

I can also export a Windows 7 64 bit guest and that actually finishes all the way up to 100% fine and will import fine. It only seems to be the Windows Server 2016 guest that is not exporting correctly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exporting appliance is corrupted with no error

Post by socratis »

casual_beast wrote:when I move the .OVA over to my laptop to import it says the file is corrupted.
How exactly are you moving it? Does it involve a stick? Perhaps formatted as FAT32?
casual_beast wrote:The strange thing is I can take that exact same file and import it fine on the desktop machine it was created from.
Because it doesn't involve any "moving"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
casual_beast

Post by casual_beast »

I'm moving it with an SD card. it's formatted as ext3/ext4.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do you have a way to validate the checksum of the OVA file to the desktop and the laptop? Do they match?
Do you have another way of transferring the OVA, like network?
I'm trying to eliminate any errors involved in the move part, since you say that if the origin and the destination are the same, it works...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
casual_beast

Post by casual_beast »

Thanks for your help...
The checksums did match up. At this point I've given up and just decided to re-create the VB from scratch since the time I'm taking trying to understand this issue is now longer than what it would take for me to just set one up.

Hope you have a good weekend!