Can't update/download newest version?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
oliviavictoria

Can't update/download newest version?

Post by oliviavictoria »

Hi! I've been going in circles trying to get this over with for the past hour.. though this might be an easy fix and I've been worrying over all this for nothing x')

Long story short, if I download VB straight from the Ubuntu Software Center, I get an older version. I didn't realize that until I saw I couldn't connect via USB and decided to go download the extension pack. Then realized, man I need to update, this is for the newest version and isn't compatible with mine. Though, when I go into file and into the settings I saw no option to update. This is version 4.3.36. So I go ahead and uninstall and download 5.1.22. Here's my problem. I'm prompted with "Dependency is not satisefiable: libdevmapper1.02.1 (>=2:1.02.99)" What do I do from here? Should I just download the version 4.3.36 of the extension pack and call it a night?

Thank you so much for any and all help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't update/download newest version?

Post by socratis »

The only supported version here is the one downloaded from the official VirtualBox site: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads . The one that you are downloading from the Software Center is the Ubuntu fork, supported at the Ubuntu forums. You didn't mention your Ubuntu version, so I don't know how to tackle the dependency problem.

Moving to "Linux Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You should always use the version from VirtualBox for various reasons and one being the extension pack. The fork version will have an extension pack but it will not contain USB support. As for your dependencies, these can usually be fixed by running "apt-get install -f" in an elevated terminal just after you receive the warning and it should pull them in for you. Also since you installed the repo version you need to remove it first to prevent any conflicts with the official version.

One last thing. I would refrain from using their "software center". I will try to pull in their version anyway and cause issues. Use something like gdebi, or what ever graphical deb package manager you have.
oliviavictoria

Post by oliviavictoria »

socratis wrote:The only supported version here is the one downloaded from the official VirtualBox site. The one that you are downloading from the Software Center is the Ubuntu fork, supported at the Ubuntu forums. You didn't mention your Ubuntu version, so I don't know how to tackle the dependency problem.

Moving to "Linux Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox".
Sorry, it was late at night and I forgot to include that haha. I'm using Xubuntu 15.04. I'm pretty sure I'm running 64 bit but I receive the same error message either using Gdebi and the Software Center. I tried the i386 as well but was prompted with the same message. Downloads are from the VirtualBox site itself. Is it because the downloads provided are for 15.10 and I'm running 15.04? Thank you for your reply!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Did you also try what I suggested? first removing the current version before trying to install the new one and running apt-get install -f in an elevated terminal?

Note: Ubuntu 15.04 reached end of Life on February 4 2016 and you may have issues with getting package updates.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

oliviavictoria wrote:Is it because the downloads provided are for 15.10 and I'm running 15.04?
On top of what Perryg said, there are two distinct VirtualBox versions, one for 15.10 and a different one for 14.04, 14.10, 15.04. There must be a reason for that, no?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
oliviavictoria

Post by oliviavictoria »

Perryg wrote:Did you also try what I suggested? first removing the current version before trying to install the new one and running apt-get install -f in an elevated terminal?

Note: Ubuntu 15.04 reached end of Life on February 4 2016 and you may have issues with getting package updates.
Ah yes I had tried that, I was prompted with the same. And nothing progressed with the terminal sadly. I'd run it through again to show you directly what the terminal said but as of right now I tried to use the command
update-manager -d
to update to 15.10. I was prompted with
** (update-manager:3041): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-CCntffjzZp: Connection refusedWARNING:root:can not import unity GI cannot import name Dbusmenu, introspection typelib not found
Although, a software updater window has popped up and is currently checking so, this might work. Thank you for your replies!
oliviavictoria

Post by oliviavictoria »

socratis wrote:
oliviavictoria wrote:Is it because the downloads provided are for 15.10 and I'm running 15.04?
On top of what Perryg said, there are two distinct VirtualBox versions, one for 15.10 and a different one for 14.04, 14.10, 15.04. There must be a reason for that, no?
Oh gosh, I totally didn't even see that! Thank you kindly, over the past day I had to manually wipe my computer since my dad had passed, it's been stressful so I guess I'm less likely to catch things haha! Thank you thank you