Clonzilla on LinuxMint VirtualBox Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
drew1horn

Clonzilla on LinuxMint VirtualBox Host

Post by drew1horn »

I'm running Virtual Box on a LinuxMint 17.2 laptop. It was installed from the repositories.

I set the CD/DVD drive to use the latest Clonezilla iso clonezilla-live-2.5.0-25-amd64.iso

I used the same iso to create the boot USB drives used to create the images on a Lenovo T440, and a T520.

I'm trying to restore these images to a VM to verify I was successful.

When I boot the VM from the .iso, the first screen comes up asking if I want to use the default configuration, but the next Clonezilla screen does not come up, it reboots automatically after 30 sec.

I asked a couple days ago on the Clonezilla forums. No answer yet.

How do I debug this from the VirtualBox side? Are the log files, configuration settings I should check, etc.?
drew1horn

Re: Clonzilla on LinuxMint VirtualBox Host

Post by drew1horn »

Not sure why it wasn't working before.

After poking around a bit I got past the first problem.

Now I'm trying to access my image files. I have them on a USB drive and in a hostos directory.

When I insert the USB drive it opens in the hostos as expected, but it does not appear in my list of USB devices, although the host's camera and Bluetooth devices do appear in the list.

If I'm reading things correctly to access host directories I need to install the guest additions, but there aren't any built for this special purpose tool.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Clonzilla on LinuxMint VirtualBox Host

Post by socratis »

You don't need the Guest Additions, you need the Extension Pack installed on the host.

For the USB issue, look at USB basics and troubleshooting. Your device falls in the "Ejectable"/"Idling" category. The article(s) contain instructions on how to deal with them.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.