Linux VM's using Nat Network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bluefrog

Linux VM's using Nat Network

Post by bluefrog »

I am attempting to create a Nat Network using DHCP as described in a youtube clip.

I am running 64 bit Ubuntu 17.04 as the host and 64 bit Lubuntu as the VM. Virtualbox version is 5.1.18_Ubuntu r114002

I have configured two VM's, both with the Nat Network (FT_Node). FT_Note is configured as 10.11.12.0/24 and DHCP under File->Preferences->Network.

I can ping either VM, but I cannot ping any site on the internet.

Any suggestions as to why either of the two cannot connect to the internet?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux VM's using Nat Network

Post by socratis »

bluefrog wrote:as described in a youtube clip.
That's not helpful at all. There are billions of videos on YouTube.
bluefrog wrote:Virtualbox version is 5.1.18_Ubuntu r114002
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).
bluefrog wrote:FT_Node
By the way, what's an "FT_Node"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

Thanks for advice on using VirtualBox from Oracle instead of from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

I could not post the link as I kept getting this message:
"You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls."

The Nat network functions as I expect now, pinging to each VM is possible and access to the internet is also available.

Ευχαριστώ
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bluefrog wrote:Ευχαριστώ
Παρακαλώ! ;)

Glad you got it going. Distro's VirtualBox are quite easier to use (stores, repositories), but they introduce a lot of incompatibilities. And I honestly don't know why their branding/additional goodies break so many things, that's why we always recommend the official versions first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.