virtual box extensions on kali linux virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
restless-inc

virtual box extensions on kali linux virtual machine

Post by restless-inc »

I am having such difficulties. Maybe I'm just being stupid as I'm a newbie but for the life of me I can't get virtual box extensions to run on a kali linux virtual machine. I am running the current version of virtual box and this problem occurred when I upgraded from the previous version. The extensions run correctly when I create a windows 8.1 virtual machine.

Hopefully this makes some sense to somebody and there is a fix to this problem.

Nick
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: virtual box extensions on kali linux virtual machine

Post by Perryg »

By extensions do you mean the guest additions? Because there is a part of the install that uses extension pack and that is installed on the host.

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtual box extensions on kali linux virtual machine

Post by socratis »

As Perryg said, you've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.