Get frozen screen when boot after extension pack installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
anciety

Get frozen screen when boot after extension pack installation

Post by anciety »

Hi, I am totally troubled with this issue. I even reinstalled my host to try to get this working, but no.
My host system is Manjaro linux, and has already upgraded everything to the newest version.
I am using manjaro i3 version, which is a community one, I don't know if this thing matters.

Now I have two issues.

One is that after I udpated my extension pack to the newest(5.1.22),
and installed that on my Windows 8.1 guest, the first time rebooting the guest is quite OK, and it's working.
But the second time, when I reboot this guest, the screen frozen after the windows booting animation.
And I know it's working, since when I insert the extension pack again, there is a sound to indicate that
it's still running. But the screen is frozen still.

And the other one is that, the auto resize seems to be broken on my i3wm. I can't drag the window to scale
the window. When I tried that, the window always stays the minimum. But the resolution is changed after this
drag action, so I can just turn off the auto-resize and resize it to the normal size.

Are these two issues strongly connected to my i3wm? And how can I solve my first issue, which is quite important one?

To sum up:
host: manjaro linux i3 community version (newest1)
guest: windows 8.1 pro
ext.pack and virtualbox both 5.1.22
problem:
1. frozen screen after boot animation, but guest still running.
2. can't auto-resize the window.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Get frozen screen when boot after extension pack installation

Post by socratis »

1. Partial logs are not that useful, hence I deleted it to save a (virtual) tree or two ;)
  2. Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  3. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  4. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
anciety

Post by anciety »

Thanks for replying. I found it larger than expected when I save the log, but I forgot to zip it to make it fit, Haha.

And this is the full log of that cycle. Hope somebody can fix my problem :D
Attachments
vbox.log.zip
full log
(26.23 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It appears that you are running a heavily modified fork of VirtualBox and accompanying guest additions. I honestly have never seen log information like this before. Is there no way to install the official version of VirtualBox in Manjaro? I only ask because I have never tried to use Manjaro as host. Have you asked the Manjaro folks about this since it is after all their build?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.22 r115126 linux.amd64 (May  9 2017 19:27:33) release log
I don't quite agree with Perryg that this might be the Manjaro fork of VirtualBox, because it isn't branded as such, it is branded as the official VirtualBox release. I have a Manjaro client that I'm going to try and install the forked VirtualBox and see what it reports. Unfortunately at the moment it refuses to cooperate, so I'll update my findings in a future post.
00:00:00.998459 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:00.998477   None installed!
You could benefit if you had installed the Extension Pack. Plus, it would make the title of your thread more accurate ;). I believe that you actually meant Guest Additions (GAs). You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be really good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing, enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
00:00:01.069904 File system of '/home/anciety/VirtualBox VMs/win8 Clone/Snapshots/{d59547b3-b928-40a2-ae70-6738381bf2c1}.vdi' is ext4
This is a clone of an existing VM? Including snapshots? Is it a linked clone?
00:00:01.147607 Path <string>  = "/home/anciety/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.22.iso" (cb=63)
You still have the Guest Additions (GAs) CD mounted. It's a good idea to eject it after you're done installing the GAs. And what on the seven kingdoms is it doing in the ".config" directory? How did it get there?
00:00:09.165644 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DriverEntry: 3D is NOT supported by the host, falling back to display-only mode..
Descriptive enough I believe. Maybe it's time to update your graphics card drivers?
00:00:12.466243 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxWddmPickResources: found the VBE card
00:00:12.466959 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DxgkDdiStartDevice: using HGSMI
00:00:12.515793 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxVidPnTargetModeSetFromArray: WARNING! :pfnAddMode failed, Status 0xc01e030b
00:00:12.515967 VMMDev: Guest Log: TargetMode: ID: 1, VSI: VStd(D3DKMDT_VSS_OTHER), totSize(297X68), activeSize(297X68), VSynch(-2/-2=1), PixelRate(-2), ScanLineOrdering(D3DDDI_VSSLO_PROGRESSIVE), Preference(D3DKMDT_MP_NOTPREFERRED)
00:00:12.516001 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxVidPnApplyInfoForPathTarget: WARNING! :vboxVidPnTargetModeSetFromArray failed Status(0xc01e030b)
00:00:12.516008 VMMDev: Guest Log: VidPn: ---------
00:00:12.516015 VMMDev: Guest Log:  >>**** Start Dump VidPn Path ****>>
00:00:12.516037 VMMDev: Guest Log: VidPnSourceId(0),  VidPnTargetId(0)
And this is what Perryg was talking about. That's really not your typical, everyday log. But all of the entries have something to do with the display. Coupled with the previous part, either search for an updated graphics driver, or drop down some of your options, like enabling disabling 3D acceleration in the guest settings. See if the latter helps...

EDIT: I had entered "enabling" instead of the correct "disabling 3D acceleration".
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

FYI:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.973028 Package type: LINUX_64BITS_GENERIC (OSE)
Only happens in a fork or self compiled. Self compiled are also treated the same as fork since it is not the official built binaries. So if it is self compiled it would go in the OSE section and we would need to see the build profile as well as the entire build log to see what is really happening.

Also the official extension pack does have issues from time to time with forks and self compiled. We can from time to time fix errors in the self compiled but not the fork.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you ser Perryg for the explanation! For some reason or another I thought it would be also marked in the very first line, something like:
VirtualBox VM 5.1.22_OSE r115126 linux.amd64 (May  9 2017 19:27:33) release log
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Some of the forks are getting fancy with the build information but the DEVs figured out how to stop that with the (OSE) I showed above. Look in the build rules like config.kmk and you can see what they are doing. If you try to disable the OSE build it will try to pull in specific packages and they are not available and the build will fail.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote: Look in the build rules like config.kmk and you can see what they are doing.
Ha!!! It's like you knew what I'm doing as a side project at the moment :D
In the days/weeks to come, I might actually need your help. News in the OSE sub-forum later...
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Good for you. Always like it when someone learns about the ins and outs of the software. I do just about all forms of Linux ( the popular ones anyway ), but have settled on the Debian based ones for my production builds because I like them better. RPM distros are good as well but I prefer the former.
anciety

Post by anciety »

Thanks for your answers!

And yes, I truly misunderstood the difference between extension pack and guest additions.

The clone is because I have to use a working windows virtual machine at that moment, and
I realize I have to get this solved, but do this without the danger of getting a black screened virtual
machine again. So, I made such a clone.

I think maybe there is something wrong with my NVIDIA drivers. I will try to upgrade it or just
do something about it to see if it works. Unfortunately, the easy thing such as just enable 3d
acceleration didn't work for me. It seems the only thing I can do is to do something with the
driver.

Thanks again for your help.
anciety

Post by anciety »

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any new drivers in my system updates. The driver seems to be OK when running tests. I really don't know what to do again. :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

In a previous post, I erroneously told you to "enable 3D acceleration" in the VM settings. What I really meant was "disable 3D acceleration", my bad. So, please try to disable the 3D acceleration in the VM settings and see if that helps...
anciety

Post by anciety »

Well, not working as well. I tried with ubuntu as guests, after guest addition installation, it works quite well. So I tried with win10 as guest, still the same. After installation the guest addition, reboot and reboot again, it will froze.

Both 3d and 2d acceleration is disabled. I don't know why ubuntu works...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please pick one VM that gets stuck.
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Just boot it?
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved, not paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.