[SOLVED] VirtualBox No Longer Installs on 32bit Slackware-current

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mtv

[SOLVED] VirtualBox No Longer Installs on 32bit Slackware-current

Post by mtv »

After recent changes to Slackware Current 32bit, VirtualBox no longer will install. I use the VirtualBox-5.1.22-115126-Linux_x86.run script to install. Have tried going back to earlier versions of VirtualBox but these don't work either so fairly sure its an upgrade to a package that causes problem. Don't know if it is the kernel version (4.9.28) or the upgrade to gcc-7.1.0.

When running the script I get the following diagnostics...

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.............
VirtualBox Version 5.1.22 r115126 (2017-04-28T15:48:48Z) installer
Removing previous installation of VirtualBox 5.1.14 r112924 from /opt/VirtualBox
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
Python found: python, installing bindings...
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

and dmesg shows several lines with:

vboxdrv: Unknown symbol __udivmoddi4 (err 0)

Has anyone else seen this on Slackware or other distributions when using the install script rather than a package? Is there a work around or is it a case of waiting for a fix in VirtualBox?
Last edited by mtv on 27. Jul 2017, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox No Longer Installs on 32bit Slackware-current

Post by socratis »

I would head to the bugtracker and file a new bug report. Your report seems good enough as a starting point, the developers may ask for more information.

Just a quick note, that in a couple of months time the "current" is not going to be current any more, so if there was a better way to identify the specific version in the title, it could help both the developers and future searchers, something like "VirtualBox 5.1.22 no longer install on 32-bit Slackware current 2015-05-19" or something similar.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mtv

Post by mtv »

socratis wrote:Related ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16772
I raised that ticket. Since then I've done a fresh install of Slackware current (as of May 16th) on a test box and confirmed I get the same error. I then download kernel 4.9.29 built, installed and booted into it. Confirmed with uname -r and I am running 4.9.29. I checked that /lib/modules contains a 4.9.29 directory and it does. I then tried building VirtualBox again and got the same error.

Stuck!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I know, I'm watching the bug, all of them actually. As you have noticed in your bug report, you're in direct dialog with the developers. It doesn't get any higher priority than that. But it doesn't mean at the same time that it will resolved immediately. Patience is a virtue... ;)
mtv

Post by mtv »

The latest version of VirtualBox 5.1.24 has a fix for this problem. Now installs without issue on 32bit Slackware.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] VirtualBox No Longer Installs on 32bit Slackware-current

Post by socratis »

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback and for marking this as "Solved"!