How to redeem for the latest vdi image?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
caramaneiro

How to redeem for the latest vdi image?

Post by caramaneiro »

Good Morning!! I need the help of you, I have the viualbox installed on windows running the parrot, yesterday I lost a .vdi file and with that the machine does not want to work anymore, it says that it is inaccessible, and it does not accept the other vdi image files, later From that date of the deleted file !!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to redeem for the latest vdi image?

Post by mpack »

If you have a backup then it will be accepted, regardless of what date its from.

Was the lost VDI stand alone, or was it part of a snapshot chain?
caramaneiro

Post by caramaneiro »

mpack wrote:If you have a backup then it will be accepted, regardless of what date its from.

Was the lost VDI stand alone, or was it part of a snapshot chain?

Thanks for your response!!
The vdi is not alone, there are 40 in total, but only one was excluded and she is giving inaccessible machine. How to target the last one in a way that it keeps the state of the last snapshot saved
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Snapshots are unsafe by their very nature. They must never be thought of as backups. In fact they are the opposite of backups because they make it more likely that data will be lost - due to their fragility.

So. I believe you are using snapshots. If you have a 40-long chain of snapshot VDIs and you delete a VDI from the middle then it is not possible to recover any data from any VDI which is later than the deleted VDI. You can only recover data from those VDIs which are older than the deleted VDI.

A snapshot is like a patch file which references the next older snapshot (or base VDI). A patch file <P> is useless when it has no access to the deleted snapshot <P-1>. Likewise the next patch <P+1> is useless because it wants to reference the useless snapshot <P>, and so on.

However, if you have a backup of the VM made at any time after snapshot <P> was created then <P-1> will exist in that backup and can be dropped into the current VM to restore it to working order. If you have a chain of 40 snapshots and have never made a backup... well, the less said about that the better.
caramaneiro

Post by caramaneiro »

I did not backup, what I have are the vdi. And sav files. Inside the installed linux machine, so there is no way to recover the vdi. After the loss of the corrupted file ne
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm sorry, but the only way to recover lost data is with a backup.

As to your VM, as I mentioned it is possible to recover data that existed before the deleted snapshot. Can you please now be explicit about the name of the VDI which was lost (it's given in an error message), and where in the 40-long snapshot chain it is supposed to be. A screenshot of the error message would be useful.
caramaneiro

Post by caramaneiro »

The error and that it does not find the file, it was removed by the avast antivirus, and it was not quarantined, I used programs to recover such as disk drill2, but it is neither listed
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2017, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I knew a guy that lost his thesis right before he defended it. He still has the floppy hanging over his office. You know why? He had to do it (type it) again from scratch.

If you delete a file, that file is gone. Period. If you don't have a backup, do what my friend did; start from scratch. And learn a lesson.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.