Running WinXP(external drive) from Xubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sven23286

Running WinXP(external drive) from Xubuntu

Post by Sven23286 »

Hello,

New user, I've installed VirtualBox on my computer wich is running under Xubuntu 16.0.4.
I want to run Win XP or Win7 on a virtual machine, but these OS are on external USB hard drives whith all softwares I want to use.
How can I do this?

I understand English a little and it's difficult to write for me.
If you want/can, it's possible to answer in french.

Thank you very much :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running WinXP(external drive) from Xubuntu

Post by socratis »

Sven23286 wrote:these OS are on external USB hard drives
Can you please explain that? What is on the external HD? The ISO for the installation? The OS? How did it get there?

PS: https://translate.google.com does a very good job. Use small sentences. It helps.
Cela aide beaucoup. Utilisez des phrases courtes. Ça aide.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sven23286

Re: Running WinXP(external drive) from Xubuntu

Post by Sven23286 »

These HD were my old system disks before Win10 and Xubuntu. When I change OS, I change HD too to keep them functional if anything turns wrong.
On XP and W7 are softwares that are not running on Xubuntu (TurboCAD for exemple) or other old softwares that I was using years before.
My goal is to "clone" these HDs on a virtual machine, or to open them under ubuntu in a VM to be able to use these softs.

How can I do that? Thanks a lot for answering me :)