VB sometimes doesn't recognize USB devices until I log out/in on host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
thro123

VB sometimes doesn't recognize USB devices until I log out/in on host

Post by thro123 »

Running VBox 5.0.36 on Lubuntu 16.04.2 with Guest Additions and Extensions Pack installed.

Most of the time VBox recognizes USB devices without any problems, but sometimes it simply doesn't recognize the same devices, nor any other, at all until I log out and back in again on host. When it happens, it applies to all guests and VBox claims "No USB devices connected," even though the host recognizes them. I've tried to solve this with USB filters, but it doesn't help. It just keeps happening, apparently randomly, and logging out and back in once or twice always solves it. I have no idea how to recreate the problem.

Neither rebooting the guests nor restarting VBox nor replugging the USBs helps. I'm also in the vboxusers group.

What is causing the problem and how do I solve it? It does happen rarely, but it's a real nuisance to have to log out when you have a bunch of ongoing work in other open programs...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB sometimes doesn't recognize USB devices until I log out/in on host

Post by socratis »

thro123 wrote:I have no idea how to recreate the problem.
If *you* can't recreate the problem, how easy do you think it would be for us to replicate it? And have a clue as about what might be causing it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.