Can't enable VT-X in HP Bios - VM error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jwbucha

Can't enable VT-X in HP Bios - VM error

Post by jwbucha »

I have an HP Z440 desktop with an intel Xeon E5-1660 v4. When I start a VM with Windows 10 launched inside Ubuntu 16.04 I get an error stating:

"VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes"

When I go into the BIOS settings there are no options to enable VT-x or any options concerning virtualization. I tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version. Also, when I go into the setting in virtualbox the Acceleration tab is grayed out. The result of 'lscpu' tells me that the virtualization is VT-x. Any other options to try?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't enable VT-X in HP Bios - VM error

Post by mpack »

You need to contact your PC manufacturer if you have questions about their BIOS. If VT-x is not available then the only other thing you can do is avoid all guest types which would require it, i.e. no 64bit guests, no multi-cpu guests, no versions of Windows beyond 8.0, etc.
jwbucha

Post by jwbucha »

Thanks. I chatted with HP and found the setting in the BIOS under Security > System Security > Virtualization, which seems like an odd place to hide these settings. I can delete the post if necessary.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jwbucha wrote:I can delete the post if necessary.
Thanks, but these are discussion forums, not personal support, so deleting posts would not be appropriate.
mjhaider
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by mjhaider »

Hi,

It's good that you got help from the HP Support.

For your information the other names for Intel Virtualization Technology is "Intel Virtualization Technology”, “Intel VT-x” or “Vanderpool” or “Virtualization Extensions”.