vboxsf failure on Ubuntu 12.04 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
maxolasersquad

vboxsf failure on Ubuntu 12.04 guest

Post by maxolasersquad »

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit and have an Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit VM that is managed with Vagrant. Today I upgrade to the new Virtualbox 5.1.20. I use the Vagrant plugin https://github.com/dotless-de/vagrant-vbguest to make sure my Vagrant boxes guest additions are always up to date. After bringing up my 12.04 VM the guest additions updated. Now vboxsf is failing to mount directories.

Code: Select all

==> web: Configuring and enabling network interfaces...
==> web: Mounting shared folders...
    web: /vagrant => /home/david/code/turbine/vagrant
Vagrant was unable to mount VirtualBox shared folders. This is usually
because the filesystem "vboxsf" is not available. This filesystem is
made available via the VirtualBox Guest Additions and kernel module.
Please verify that these guest additions are properly installed in the
guest. This is not a bug in Vagrant and is usually caused by a faulty
Vagrant box. For context, the command attempted was:

mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 vagrant /vagrant

The error output from the command was:

mount: Protocol error
I have tried rebooting both my guest and host OSes, as well as uninstalling and reinstall the guest additions. I know 12.04 dropped out of support this month, and we are in the middle of upgrading our systems, but I didn't see anything at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog#v20 noting a drop of support at this time. Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vboxsf failure on Ubuntu 12.04 guest

Post by socratis »

Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.

On the other hand, if this is working fine with 5.1.18 and not with 5.1.20 (vagrant-less), I'd suggest that you notify the developers in the "Discuss the 5.1.20 release" thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Years ago VirtualBox tried to build an automatic guest additions updater and it failed for various reasons. It worked beautifully for some but for others it was a nightmare. No one could figure out the reason since there are so many ways this could go wrong so they abandoned it. I would suggest you try to manually install the guest additions and see if that fixes your issue. I will say that normally a protocol error when trying to mount a shared folder is due to the name, or case of the shared name or mount point but it can be the install as well.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Actually this might be your issue as well https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16670

You can try to fix this or revert back to a previous version of the guest additions until the fix filters down to the end user.