[Solved] Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dr.Nukular

[Solved] Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by Dr.Nukular »

I have issues running VirtualBox (5.1.10 r112026) since the last kernel update (4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64) on Fedora 25.

I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

When I run /sbin/vboxconfig, I get the following output:

[root@linux]# /sbin/vboxconfig
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxdrv.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxballoonctrl-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxballoonctrl-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxautostart-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxautostart-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxweb-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxweb-service.service.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.

Looking at /var/log/vbox-install.log gives me the follwoing output (I have only posted the first few lines, I can post the rest if needed):

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.8.8-300.fc25.x86_64/build -j8 modules
make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo >&2;							\
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo >&2 ;							\

Here's some more information:

[root@linux]# uname -r
4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64

[root@linux]# rpm -qa kernel |sort -V |tail -n 1
kernel-4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64

[root@linux]# modprobe vboxdrv
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64
Does anyone know what happened here and how to fix this? Any help would be really appreciated.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto.png
Bildschirmfoto.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 24707 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Apr 2017, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by towo2099 »

install a recent version of vbox will fix your issue.
What makes you think, version 5.1.10 would compile against kernel 4.10?
Dr.Nukular

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by Dr.Nukular »

Thanks that fixed the issue.

Could you please just explain how the version number relates to the kernel version? Version 5.1.10 worked fine with kernel 4.9.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

Dr.Nukular wrote:Could you please just explain how the version number relates to the kernel version?
It doesn't. There's no direct connection between the two.
Dr.Nukular wrote:Version 5.1.10 worked fine with kernel 4.9.
Which was earlier than kernel 4.10. Therefore kernel 4.10 required a VirtualBox version later than 5.1.10. The release notes/changelog should help you with the details, but generally speaking, if you want the latest kernel, you should be using the latest apps and not the other way round.

Marked as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.