USB on guest not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
M123E2

USB on guest not working

Post by M123E2 »

Hello,
Have VirtualBox installed on Ubuntu 16.04 host. VM is Windows 10. Having trouble getting USB on the guest working. Installed the Extension pack. In the VM control panel went to USB settings and enabled USB 2.0. It shows up enabled. Added a new filter and left everything blank. As soon as I start the Windows guest the USB setting get grayed out. And the guest does not see any devices. Have plugged the USB into the Ubuntu machine and ejected it. Tried several things that seem to have worked for others.
Any help would be appreciated.
Will admit this is my first experience at VirtualBox. The Windows machine seems to up and running just fine.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: USB on guest not working

Post by Perryg »

Have you added your user name to the vboxusers group on the host?

Note: permission changes require a minimum of log off and back in or a reboot to complete.
M123E2

Post by M123E2 »

That made a difference. It now sees the USB device. But in the settings window it still shows the USB controller grayed out
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

M123E2 wrote:As soon as I start the Windows guest the USB setting get grayed out.
Just like on a real computer, you cannot change hardware (and it's settings) while the computer is running.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
M123E2

Post by M123E2 »

When Window VM is off under USB settings the USB controller is enabled. When the Windows VM is powered on it shows the name of the USB device but the enabled boxes are grayed out. Have gone back and forth several times and it doesn't seem to change.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Type id in the hosts terminal and post the results here.

Also post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
M123E2

Post by M123E2 »

jared@jared-Linux:~$ id
uid=1000(jared) gid=1000(jared) groups=1000(jared),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),113(lpadmin),128(sambashare),129(vboxusers)
jared@jared-Linux:~$
Attachments
Windows-2017-03-27-19-27-53.log
(120.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Everything looks fine so let's try a few things. Remove any filter that you have set and do this with the guest shut down. It may not hurt to start the host again just to be sure that everything is back to square one. Now start the guest and wait until it is fully booted, then click the device tab at the top and go to usb. Select the device you want to use and see if it actually attaches to the guest. At this point open a command window and type the following then post the results as an attachment:

From the hosts terminal type VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name> --details and post here. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use " " if the name has a space in it.
M123E2

Post by M123E2 »

Here are the results
Attachments
VBoxManage-040117.txt
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

Currently Attached USB Devices:

UUID:               41df0018-d5ec-4073-b273-a61e353aa3d6
VendorId:           0x0930 (0930)
ProductId:          0x6545 (6545)
Revision:           1.0 (0100)
Manufacturer:       TOSHIBA
Product:            TransMemory
SerialNumber:       0A20447123B24991
Address:            sysfs:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-9//device:/dev/vboxusb/001/004
This shows Toshiba TransMemory is attached to the guest. So it appears that the guest is where your difficulty is. Search for "0x6545" and there are a lot of different issues that you can check. Also do you have another USB device that you can test to see if it works?
M123E2

[Solved] USB on guest not working

Post by M123E2 »

So it seems to be working now. Found an article on How-To-Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31726/m ... th-ubuntu/
I thought I had already installed the Guest Additions. Maybe not or maybe is just needed to be re-installed. It is working. Had a couple of times when it hung up the mouse on both the Windows Guest and the Ubuntu Host.
It's kind of cool - have a USB drive from work that is encrypted with McAfee Endpoint Encryption (Windows) and was able to open that up on the Windows Guest.

Thanks for the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

M123E2 wrote:I thought I had already installed the Guest Additions.
I'm sorry, but the Guest Additions are not required for this. Neither the article talks about them. So, I'm not quite sure about it's applicability in your case.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Also the referenced article is from 2010 and talks about VirtualBox 3.2 so it is way too old.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

On a technical level, it's still quite valid. I guess the devs got the process right a long time ago... ;)