Problems with UUID and LIVE-ISO

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
TeXnik

Problems with UUID and LIVE-ISO

Post by TeXnik »

For several tasks I use different virtual machines, some with Windows and some with Linux.

I created a virtual machine working from a LIVE-DVD. The system is the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. My idea was to attach the virtual HD to this system an check the HD.
Without any problem I can attach VDMK files and check. Attaching VDI files I always get the error message that this can not be attached because the HD with this UUID already exist.

Any idea how to overcome this problem?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problems with UUID and LIVE-ISO

Post by socratis »

TeXnik wrote:I created a virtual machine working from a LIVE-DVD... My idea was to attach the virtual HD
The VM that has a live DVD does not need a virtual HD.
TeXnik wrote:Without any problem I can attach VDMK files and check.
Attach them where? To another VM?
TeXnik wrote:Attaching VDI files I always get the error message that this can not be attached because the HD with this UUID already exist.
Why don't you boot with the live DVD directly?

If you want us to understand the problem clearer, you've got to use a specific example. With the exact UUIDs, names, VMs and error messages. "I'm attaching some VDI somewhere and I get some errors, with some numbers!" doesn't help.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TeXnik

Post by TeXnik »

I use kav_recue_recue10.iso as a boot device (Live-CD/DVD) for the virtual machine. Controller IDE
The virtual HD of another VM shall be attached to this system, Controller SATA as a non bootable drive.

When I attach a VDMK file, I am able to scan this HD image. Any VDI file from an existing VM cannot be attached.
The error message is as follows:
Die Plattenabbilddatei /media/ff/2TB 1/Virtual Machines/V-Box/OLB/OnBa.vdi konnte nicht geöffnet werden.

Cannot register the hard disk '/media/ff/2TB 1/Virtual Machines/V-Box/OLB/OnBa.vdi' {ff1c205b-03b2-45bb-a57e-476a516a4917} because a hard disk '/home/ff/Vbox/OLB/OnBa.vdi' with UUID {ff1c205b-03b2-45bb-a57e-476a516a4917} already exists.

Fehlercode:NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Komponente:VirtualBoxWrap
Interface:IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Callee RC:VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

The OnBa.vdi file is the boot device for a different VM.
This error occurs with every VM using VDI files as virtual Harddisks.

I use about 8 different VM, 5 with Linux and 3 with Windows (from XP to 10). My physical PC boots with a rudimentary Linux-System. All task, email, internet, documents etc. I put in VM. The Windows machines I converted with a converter from VMWare and then to a VDI file. Runs good, but I had to activate Windows again due change of drivers and hardware. It worked so well, that I skipped multiple boot and run other OS only as VM.

The basic idea was to create a VM working like a system booting from a DVD and checking my virtual drives, like I do with a DVD drive checking the physical HD.

I faced UUID error messages already when I organized my drives new and moved all my VM in different directory. After moving I could not any virtual drive prior to changing the UUID. In case of LIVE-ISO VM Boot-system this is not a workable option. This would require too much doubled working, changing every UUID for the use in KAV system and changing back to use in the regular VM.

So to be clear each VDI files is attached to its specific VM. For scanning with KAV I want this file connected to the KAV temporarily and scan the virtual drive.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, let me see if I understand the procedure correctly:
  1. Create a VM. Boot from the Kaspersky Rescue Disk (kav_recue_recue10.iso) from an IDE controller.
  2. Add a SATA controller. Choose an existing VDI/VMDK from an existing VM.
    • If it's a VMDK, you get no error.
    • If it's a VDI you get an error about the UUID (it already exists).
Do I have that correctly? Because I just did it and it worked with no problems. So, either I don't have the procedure correct, or something different is going on.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TeXnik

Post by TeXnik »

Yes, that is the corrccet procedure.
May be the VM must start several times with changing SATA drives. I used the VM several times. I was not sure whether I used VDI files, but with you reporting no problems it is likely that I also attached VDI files in the beginning.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you create a copy of the VDI or did you check a backup?
Because I see that you're trying to attach/register a VDI that's on "/media/..." and you're getting a warning about an already registered VDI in "/home/...".
TeXnik

Post by TeXnik »

I moved all my virtual machines to a different folder (on another drive).
How can I correct this and delete the obsolete entry regarding the home directory?

I admit that I did not read the error message carefully and did not recognize the different folders. So I assume that this was also some time ago with my VM when I moved them and got the same message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Go to File » Virtual Media Manager... (Ctrl-D) and see what/who is using this VDI and release it, after making sure that it's not used.
TeXnik

Post by TeXnik »

That did not work for me. The Link to the old folder stayed. I had to delete the VM and create a new one with the existing virtual HD.

So I assume I will face this problem everytime I change the organization of my physical harddrive and move the VM. Is there any workaround to automize the links in case of moving?
Last edited by socratis on 24. Mar 2017, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

See the FAQ: Moving a VM.
TeXnik

Post by TeXnik »

If I read the FAQ correctly, when moving I have to delete all VM after moving and add them new to the manager.
Good to know. To avoid a lot of work I shall move VMs only in urgent need.

Thanks for your help. As a simple user I never did get deep into the details.