[Solved] No internet connection anymore in Windows 10 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
damir

[Solved] No internet connection anymore in Windows 10 guest

Post by damir »

Hello guys,

I am using VirtualBox 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.3.2) on Debian Jessie as host and in it I have set up Windows 10 as guest.

All worked fine and I used it and once now there is no more internet connection in the guest system Windows 10 available. In Windows 10 it seems to have still network and internet connection but I can't access any website.

In VirtualBox all ist still in default configuration like when I installed it and as Network is NAT configured and network adapter the one with "Desktop" available for all and plugged in. I tried with bridge and still couldn't get internet connection in guest system. It looks like with NAT that there is network and internet connection but can't get access.

So i typed in cmd:

Code: Select all

ipconfig/all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname  . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-5MD7308
   Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
   Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP-Routing aktiviert  . . . . . . : Nein
   WINS-Proxy aktiviert  . . . . . . : Nein
   DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : localdomain

Ethernet-Adapter Ethernet:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: localdomain
   Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
   Physische Adresse . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-DB-E5-34
   DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
   Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
   IPv4-Adresse  . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15(Bevorzugt)
   Subnetzmaske  . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease erhalten. . . . . . . . . . : Mittwoch, 22. März 2017 17:45:34
   Lease läuft ab. . . . . . . . . . : Donnerstag, 23. März 2017 17:45:32
   Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2
   DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2
   DNS-Server  . . . . . . . . . . . : 91.239.100.100
   NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Aktiviert

Tunneladapter isatap.localdomain:

Medienstatus. . . . . . . . . . . : Medium getrennt
   Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: localdomain
   Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physische Adresse . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein

Tunneladapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
   Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physische Adresse . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein
   Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse  . : fe80::20d6:d54:f5ff:fdf0%8(Bevorzugt)
   Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6-IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134217728
   DHCPv6-Client-DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-4C-FA-95-08-00-27-DB-E5-34
   NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Deaktiviert
Sorry but it is a german Windows 10 version.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Apr 2017, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No internet connection anymore in Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

I would also like to see the "VBoxHardening.log". Do you have any TCP/IP management system, like Lavasoft?
 Edit: The "VBoxHardening.log" and the "Lavasoft" application do not apply to Linux hosts. 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
damir

Post by damir »

socratis wrote:Follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

I would also like to see the "VBoxHardening.log". Do you have any TCP/IP management system, like Lavasoft?
Thank you for your quick respond. Attached you can find the VBox.log as a ZIP-File. The VBoxHardening.log I don't know where to find. Please explain...

I don't use any TCP/IP management system!

Kind regards
Attachments
Vbox.zip
(23.46 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all I have to apologize for mistaking the "Windows 10" part as that being your host. There is no need for VBoxHardening.log and there is no Lavasoft program running on your Linux host. It just happened that on that day everybody was losing connection because of that. Then the thread got diluted with WinHost posts and the whole thread became a mess. I've now split the WinHost posts from your thread and moved them to a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. Sorry for that.

Now, I see nothing wrong in the configuration or the setup. Here's the relevant part:
00:00:09.074200 NAT: resolv.conf: nameserver 192.168.1.1
00:00:09.074219 NAT: resolv.conf: FIXME: ignoring IPv6 zone %eth0
00:00:09.074221 NAT: resolv.conf: nameserver fe80::1
00:00:09.074237 NAT: Adding domain name localdomain
00:00:09.074240 NAT: DNS#0: 192.168.1.1
00:00:09.074249 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:00:09.074570 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
So, you're getting the correct IP and I assume that 192.168.1.1 is the router in your setup.
damir wrote:In Windows 10 it seems to have still network and internet connection but I can't access any website.
What do you mean by that? There are several steps to do while troubleshooting networking:
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping google.com
  3. Goto http://192.168.1.1 (I'm guessing that's your router)
  4. Try another website.
Where does it fail in your case?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
damir

Post by damir »

socratis wrote:First of all I have to apologize for mistaking the "Windows 10" part as that being your host. There is no need for VBoxHardening.log and there is no Lavasoft program running on your Linux host. It just happened that on that day everybody was losing connection because of that. Then the thread got diluted with WinHost posts and the whole thread became a mess. I've now split the WinHost posts from your thread and moved them to a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum. Sorry for that.
All fine, no problem. That can happen to everyone.
socratis wrote: Now, I see nothing wrong in the configuration or the setup. Here's the relevant part:
00:00:09.074200 NAT: resolv.conf: nameserver 192.168.1.1
00:00:09.074219 NAT: resolv.conf: FIXME: ignoring IPv6 zone %eth0
00:00:09.074221 NAT: resolv.conf: nameserver fe80::1
00:00:09.074237 NAT: Adding domain name localdomain
00:00:09.074240 NAT: DNS#0: 192.168.1.1
00:00:09.074249 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:00:09.074570 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
So, you're getting the correct IP and I assume that 192.168.1.1 is the router in your setup.
damir wrote:In Windows 10 it seems to have still network and internet connection but I can't access any website.
What do you mean by that?
Like you see I am getting the appropriate IP address from the router and network connection with router is working fine. All other devices, even the laptop in Linux can access the internet but in virtualbox with windows 10 it is not working.
socratis wrote:There are several steps to do while troubleshooting networking:
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping google.com
  3. Goto http://192.168.1.1 (I'm guessing that's your router)
  4. Try another website.
Where does it fail in your case?
In cmd pinging google works fine. All packages could be send and received. Either pinging google with Ip or domain name is working.

Opening in Microsoft Edge google is not working or any other website. Skype or other apps can't access internet, too.
damir

Post by damir »

I found out that it was because of my firewall in virtualbox

It could be closed
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: No internet connection anymore in Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the feedback. I will mark the thread as [Solved].
Phatfossil

Post by Phatfossil »

damir wrote:I found out that it was because of my firewall in virtualbox

It could be closed
Could you please explain what you mean by "firewall"? Im having the exact same problem as you describe above. My windows firewall is disabled, I'm not sure what you mean by "firewall in virtualbox". Please let me know as I'm at wits end and completely stumped.

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] No internet connection anymore in Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Phatfossil wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "firewall in virtualbox"
Until "damir" replies, I suspect that they mean the firewall in their guest. That's how I understood it at the time. But it won't hurt if you disable the firewalls both in the host and the guest until you figure out what's going on.
Phatfossil wrote:Im having the exact same problem as you describe above.
Not having a network connection is not necessarily the same problem. Please describe completely your setup, your problem, your diagnostics, what you were expecting to see versus what you're seeing. I'd like to see the exact versions of each software involved: host, guest and VirtualBox. Plus a VBox.log (ZIPPED), by right-clicking on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager » Show log. ONLY the first one.

I know we're the Linux Hosts section, but, in the case that you didn't notice and if this is on a Windows host, and you're running VirtualBox 5.2.0, please upgrade to the latest one from the Test Builds area. See: [Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186) for more details.