Unable to install Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
irishjd
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Linux, OSX

Unable to install Extension Pack

Post by irishjd »

I am running RHEL 6.8 with Virtual Box Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.6.1). Every time I try to install Extension Pack version 5.1.18-114002, I get this error:
Failed to install the Extension Pack /home/md2mmub/Desktop/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.18-114002.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 1: **

ERROR:pkexec.c:128:pam_conversation_function: code should not be reached.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to install Extension Pack

Post by socratis »

Have you made sure that the checksum matches, i.e. that you don't have a corrupt download?
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... SHA256SUMS
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 18/MD5SUMS
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
irishjd

Post by irishjd »

Hello,
Yes, I downloaded the hash valuse and compared them to the hash of the downloaded file, and they match, so the download should be good.

Jon
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

How did you try to install the ExtPack? Have you tried to install it from within VirtualBox's preferences » Extensions? It seems that the installed "pkexec" in your system is failing for some reason. I'd start digging there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
irishjd

Post by irishjd »

I get the exact same error when trying to install it via /Preferences/Extensions

Thanks,
Jon
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:It seems that the installed "pkexec" in your system is failing for some reason. I'd start digging there...
adamr

Post by adamr »

Did you manage to fix your problem?

Can you rule out the Secure Boot issues?

I work on Ubuntu 16.04 with Secure Boot enabled and get exactly the same error when trying to install the Extension Pack.

Code: Select all

The installer failed with exit code 1: **
ERROR:pkexec.c:138:pam_conversation_function: code should not be reached.
irishjd

Post by irishjd »

I never did get this working. I ended up using KVM instead of Virtualbox. That being said, I have recently build a RHEL 7.4 system, and I was able to install Virtualbox and extensions without any issues.

Jon
VirtSk8

Post by VirtSk8 »

hi i have a similar issue when trying to install the VirtualBox 6.0.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
im on linux mint 18 and the virtual is running w7 ultimate
the error comes when i open the extension pack from the preferences on the virtuabox administrator 6.0.4
error :
Failed to load the main module ('/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK16RTCRestArrayBase9baseCloneEv.

Código Resultado:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Componente:
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interfaz:
IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}