CD driver error installing Win 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
estes53

CD driver error installing Win 7

Post by estes53 »

This would be an easy fix on a physical machine, but on Virtualbox I cannot seem to be able to put the drivers where install can see them.
I have them on a thumb drive and Manager says that it can be seen, but is not.
I am assuming that root is where I am installing but Ubuntu will not give me access to it.

Thanx, Alan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: CD driver error installing Win 7

Post by socratis »

estes53 wrote:I cannot seem to be able to put the drivers where install can see them.
What "drivers" are these and what's the "install"?
estes53 wrote:Manager says that it can be seen, but is not.
Is that "VirtualBox Manager"? And "says that it can be seen", what does this mean?

Can you try to explain a little bit better? Are you trying to access some drivers in a USB stick to install something in your Windows 7 guest? From your Ubuntu host? Or do you have a Windows 7 installation USB?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
estes53

Post by estes53 »

The error says CD, but according to the Windows forums, it actually means RAID.

In Manager-Shared Folders I can see and select the USB drive that has the RAID driver on it (UBUNTU_16_0).
Screenshot-Shared Folders.png
Screenshot-Shared Folders.png (91.18 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
When I try to install Win7 and it gives me the option of looking for the drivers, but none of the supposed shared folders are listed (I also shared the Ubuntu Download Directory).
Screenshot- Error Message.png
Screenshot- Error Message.png (121.92 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
Screenshot-Browse Options.png
Screenshot-Browse Options.png (94.94 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
This is my first experience with Virtualbox and do not know what you mean by guest and have seen no reference to it, so far.

Thanx, Alan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

estes53 wrote:This is my first experience with Virtualbox and do not know what you mean by guest and have seen no reference to it, so far.
OK, then. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Also, since this is the first time with VirtualBox, why are you trying to install a RAID controller in your Win7 guest? Does your host (your physical computer) have one and the drivers are for that?

And since you're new to VirtualBox, please do not be shy on the details. We cannot sit in front of your computer, so you'll have to describe it (and the problem) with a lot of details, so we can better understand what you're trying to do and why.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

In many cases this error is just a symptom of the installation disk ISO having an error.
Did you try with another installation disk or can you do a checksum to verify that it should be ok?
jivabill
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Post by jivabill »

I have a similar problem. I had a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit guest running just fine on my HP 8460p Laptop. My host was Linux Mint 13 Mate. Recently I upgraded due to the LTS period expiring, to Linux Mint 18.1 Mate.

I set up a new virtual machine configured with the guest being Win 7 Professional 64 bit. When I tried to install Win 7 Professional the install aborted saying that it could not find the driver for my CD/DVD drive. The drive is an ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S. I am mystified as to why the guest install failed for lack of the CD/DVD driver now when it installed just fine on Mint 13.

I tried to download the driver from M$OFT but their site said it had refused my request. Then I found a site that had Windows drivers, but after downloading their installation package I found that they wanted $29.95 for the package.

So that's where I am at right now. I have no clue why Win 7 cannot find the driver needed now on Mint 18.1 when it was able to find the driver just fine on Mint 13, using the SAME Win 7 install disc.

Any ideas appreciated.
thanks for reading
Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks!
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

The "driver for DVD missing" is in almost all cases a problem with the installation disk.
Are you using a physical DVD or an ISO file?
deuxpont

Post by deuxpont »

I got exactly the same problem as este53, but I am using no RAID device but only a usual CD drive and an original Win 7 installation DVD. :?

I even set up a CDROM-driver CD. The win 7 installation setup (inside of the virtualbox) identified it and displayed folders, but it did not identify the CD driver files (from Microsoft) (*.ini, *.sys et al).

I am running Ubuntu 16.4, and I heard that there has been some file localization confusion - but does this affect the identification of driver files?
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

Win 7 doesn't need driver files for the virtual CD/DVD drive in Virtualbox.
If it asks for a driver you either have a read problem with your installation DVD or you have a special OEM DVD which only includes the drivers for the specifig hardware it was delivered with.
Did you try to create an ISO from your installation DVD and install from there?
deuxpont

Post by deuxpont »

Oh yes, now I found it on the Win package: OEM. :roll:
And I replaced the system long ago and deleted the ISO as well.
So I need to get a ISO from somewhere - or install Win 7 somewhere and create the ISO of it? :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

deuxpont wrote:So I need to get a ISO from somewhere - or install Win 7 somewhere and create the ISO of it?
• First part, yes. Ebay is a good place to start. Be sure not to buy an OEM one...
• Second part, no. You don't make an ISO of an already installed system, only of the installer...