[Solved] Networking not always starting on client machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
modcar

[Solved] Networking not always starting on client machines

Post by modcar »

Hello;

I've recently moved from vbox on Windows to Ubuntu (headless) with phpvirtualbox

When the client machine starts, I cannot ping it - if I login to the console and restart networking, sometimes that gets it going

Otherwise, if I log into phpvirtualbox and change the network adapter from bridged to nat, save it, then change it back to bridged and save again.

Is there a fix for this that I'm missing - or have I set something up wrong?
Last edited by socratis on 27. Mar 2017, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Networking not always starting on client machines

Post by socratis »

Can you get the same error with a standalone version of VirtualBox? If so, then we could continue this discussion. Just want to make sure that it's a VirtualBox issue and not a phpVirtualBox one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
modcar

Post by modcar »

I don't seem to.

but in saying that, out of the 3 VM's I have running, 1 never has this problem (ie starts networking fine)

1 sometimes has the problem but then a second reboot sorts it 99% of the time and the 3rd without fail always starts without networking.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Then maybe it's the scripts that phpVirtualBox is using. A timing issue perhaps? Either you'd have to dig for yourself and find out what's going on and what's causing this, or you'd have to ask them if they can pinpoint the root of that behavior.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
modcar

Post by modcar »

Upgraded to vbox 5.1 - issue is now resolved!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

modcar wrote:Upgraded to vbox 5.1
Could you give some more details. 5.1.??? And from which version?

Marking as [Solved] in any event. Thanks for reporting back...