RTR3InitEx failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
wildfire

RTR3InitEx failed

Post by wildfire »

I'm getting the following error message when trying to start a VM from a brand install of Virtualbox on Linux Mint 18.1:

Code: Select all

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user
I ran '/sbin/vboxconfig' but it didn't help.

How can I troubleshoot this further?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: RTR3InitEx failed

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.
This part of your warning suggests that you were/have tried to install the official version over the repo fork of VirtualBox. Only way to fix that is to purge everything VBox and install again after a reboot to make sure that any mods are removed that are from the install.
wildfire

Post by wildfire »

Thank you! I've done that yesterday and this indeed was the reason. I didn't know what OSE and PUEL meant :roll:
DestinyR

Post by DestinyR »

Hello
I have the same problem.
But I'm newbie in Ubuntu (and Linux at all) and don't know how to perform "Only way to fix that is to purge everything VBox".
Could you advise me please?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

We don't support the host and how to use it. You should ask the Ubuntu forum how to purge a package. I can tell you that the software center they use these days will cause you more than a little grief and I always do this kind of thing from the terminal.

Here's a link to get you started https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... +in+ubuntu
DestinyR

Post by DestinyR »

Thank you! I'll try.