Linux Mint 18.1 virtualdisk "not attached"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Cecilieaux

Linux Mint 18.1 virtualdisk "not attached"

Post by Cecilieaux »

I have various VMs and usually Virtualbox handles everything smoothly, but with the Linux Mint 18.1 VM on a 17.3 host. I am trying to get familiar with a clean install of the new OS version before, and if, I upgrade. However ...

At the opening of Virtualbox, it insists that the virtualdisk is "not attached." However, I can run it and boot from it.

Indeed, when I boot up and look at the settings, the disk is attached to the OS. I have installed all the drivers required. Etc., etc.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Linux Mint 18.1 virtualdisk "not attached"

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
Cecilieaux

Post by Cecilieaux »

Perryg wrote:Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
OK, I could not get the full log to compress to the right size.. Here's Vbox.og.2, which fits.
Attachments
VBoxlog2.txt
(112.3 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by Cecilieaux on 17. Mar 2017, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Try again. It did not make it.
Cecilieaux

Post by Cecilieaux »

Check again.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

00:00:00.768317 File system of '/home/cecilio/VirtualBox VMs/Linux Mint 18.1/VirtualDisk1.vdi' is ext4

Normally when you create a new guest it names the virtual drive the same as the name you gave the guest ( Linux Mint 18.1 )

This usually does not matter that you used a different name but it does matter how/when you did it.

Can you elaborate?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Cecilieaux wrote:
Perryg wrote:Compress if it is too large to post.
OK, I could not get the full log to compress to the right size.. Here's Vbox.og.2, which fits.
That's not even compressed! Perryg was talking about creating a ZIP, or a RAR, or a 7Z archive.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cecilieaux

Post by Cecilieaux »

Perryg wrote:00:00:00.768317 File system of '/home/cecilio/VirtualBox VMs/Linux Mint 18.1/VirtualDisk1.vdi' is ext4

Normally when you create a new guest it names the virtual drive the same as the name you gave the guest ( Linux Mint 18.1 )

This usually does not matter that you used a different name but it does matter how/when you did it.

Can you elaborate?
I don't understand the question.
Cecilieaux

Post by Cecilieaux »

socratis wrote:
Cecilieaux wrote:
Perryg wrote:Compress if it is too large to post.
That's not even compressed! Perryg was talking about creating a ZIP, or a RAR, or a 7Z archive.
I'm trying a zip.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(143.41 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Cecilieaux wrote:I don't understand the question.
Perry wants to know how "VirtualDisk1.vdi" came to be attached to this VM, because VirtualBox doesn't create a VM that way.