Remote USB: Device was not recognized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
f.viktor

Remote USB: Device was not recognized

Post by f.viktor »

Host (local and remote): Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit)
Extension pack: installed
Guest: Windows 7 (32 bit)
Guest additions: installed

Hey,

I'm using rdesktop-vrdp with -r usb to access a remote virtual machine and share three USB devices. Two of them seems to work.
However one of them works only if I connect it locally to the host running VirtualBox. If I connect it to the remote computer (and set remote to "Yes" or "Any") I get "USB Device Not Recognized - One of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it". The device status is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I tried reconnecting the device, restarting the machine. The device is an FTDI FT232R chip(?) controlling some motors, and is recognized as a serial port (found as /dev/ttyUSB0 or COM1).

If you have any idea what could cause this error, or need more information, let me know. I hope I can make this work without buying a better client computer that's able to run the virtualization by itself.

Thank you!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Remote USB: Device was not recognized

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
f.viktor

Post by f.viktor »

Attached the log after reproducing the error. This time I tried a different remote computer. I got the same error message. Also, this time I couldn't see the third USB device in the device manager at all (which used to work correctly last time).
Thanks.
Attachments
FaTechNOVA-2017-02-24-16-36-50.log
(89.44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I don't really see any glaring issues with the log. Code 43 is a Windows error which would place this in the guest for what ever reason. It may be because of the connection with rdesktop. I would select another port besides the default 3389 that Windows uses itself and see if that helps.
f.viktor

Post by f.viktor »

Networking is disabled for the Windows 7 guest. I tried a different port (61235) without any success.